SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaiprice

new to ficus bonsai...asking about repotting and soil make up

bonsaiprice
10 years ago

I've had some disapointments with juniper parsoni that I'd started as BONSAI so I'm trying Tiawan Fig Ficus but they're "Walmart Specials". They were kinda scrawny but my heart went out to them and I've adopted these two orphans. I've had some sucess with repotting two of the same species that I got at Lowe's garden center that didn't have any glued rocks on top. They're exactly the same as pictured in " Rescue Bonsai advise" dated 12/15/13. I immediately pliered off the glued on pebbles on these orphans (if you want to salvage the pebbles put them in water in a microwavable bowl and bring the water to a boil. With a set of kitchen tongs you can aggresively seperate the pebbles and use them again) and discovered one of the two was completely dry and the other soaking wet. I've tried to address the moisture unbalance by putting a diaper under the wet baby and carefully adding water to the roots of my dry guy. Right now they're sitting on their upturned Walmart pots with their roots naked @ room temp of about 74F, 8' from a window facing our Florida northern day light and a moisture insert guage reading a bit below 50% moist. NOW FOR MY QUESTIONS... (1) what is the proper size embroidery mesh to use over the drain holes. On the cheap I found a pack of 10 3" embroidery disks @ Hobby Lobby for $1.00 w/ 1/8" pie shaped holes and hoped that would do? (2) What should be the first layer inside the bottom of the pot. I've read so many different opinions on the internet that it's mind boggling. For now I planned to try a layer of 1/2" to 3/4" lava rock if this is correct. That seems to be working on my two Lowe's babys. I've even read using peanut shells in this layer is all the rage? (3) what should the next level of soil be? I've made up a mix of course sand, old potting soil, fir bark that I've put thru my blender, 1/4" lava rock and small 1'4" river stones. I put this mix in my oven this morning @ 180 degrees to dry and pastuerize thinking my soil mix was too wet. Its up to about 150 degrees and the moisture has gone down appreciably? I planned to mound this mix under the ficus and after carefully attending to the root ball, place the plant with the hold wires positioned to accomadate their function? (4) my last step would be to put a last layer of soil w/o the stones on top. Does this sound like I might be using the wrong soil mix or the wrong base or that I should use a different layer on top. I watched a fellow do a demonstration video on line using lava rock almost excusively? I did seem to have water retention on a "Walmart Special" that I had to take back as the leaves all fell off in two weeks.... or was that just the "luck" of that plant? Right now my two orphans are sitting with their bare naked roots awaiting good advise on repotting, ie; base content, soil content, moisture and rewatering. I have sucessfully three braided two sets of flexable "Water Branches" on my dry guy and wired him to train to cascade towards the side of the pot when I get him repotted and the other baby is ment to be a gift. All advise gratefully accepted. Thanks bonsaiprice...Price Youngman

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus