SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squidy_gw

When to repot, and questions about soil?

squidy
12 years ago

I hear you don't have to repot hoyas "unless it's necessary", but I don't know what makes it necessary. When is it?

Also, here's my soil question:

I found some threads on this forum describing chunky soil made with bark, perlite and peat. I made some and have had great success with it. But my oldest hoya is planted in a very different mixture. It is very sandy but not too heavy. The hoya seems to love it, it is always very healthy looking.

I have no idea how to replicate it though. I have tried making sandy soil for another plant and failed terribly. It became a heavy, dense cake. I think I used the wrong sand, or maybe the wrong everything.

I have heard that plants don't like to be switched to a completely different soil than what they're used to. Is that true of KQ? If so, I eventually have to learn how to make this strange sandy soil, or something roughly similar. Can anyone tell me how, or link to instructions? I need really specific ones that tell me what types of sand/etc to use, because I have no idea.

I'd like to just plant it in the chunky mix, but I really don't want to hurt it, it's my favorite plant.

Comments (6)

Sponsored