SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

can I save my pecan tree?

cousinfloyd
11 years ago

I bought two potted (large, tall pots) pecan trees middle of this past winter. I'd guess they were grafted in 2010 (or maybe even 2009.) I kept them in a block building that we keep at least above freezing for the first month or two, then repotted them into larger pots I made by cutting the bottom out of a 4-gallon bucket and fixing it on top of another into which I cut drainage holes. I've kept them outside since I repotted them except for the hard freezes we had in April when I brought them into an unheated building. The one tree is doing just as I would have hoped. It's been fully leafed out for at least a month. The other tree had some bud swell a long time ago, but then those buds dried up and nothing has happened since. I figured the tree had just died, but I scratched the bark recently and it's still very healthy green looking. So my main question is whether I can do anything to save this tree? Should I put it in a sheltered, shaded location? In full, hot sun? Water it more or less? Wrap it in something to keep it from drying out? Put some chicken manure to it? Anything to get it to leaf out? My secondary question is what I might have done to cause this problem? Thanks!

Eric

Comments (5)