SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
braun928

My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?

braun928
9 years ago

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and joined because I was told you would be able to help me! This summer I bought my first Meyer Lemon Tree, and it was doing amazing all summer outside.

Then winter came (I'm in Southern Ont) and it came inside. When it slowly continued to lose it's leaves, and then the branches started to go woody. Now 3/4 of the plant looks dead (see below), minus a few of the lemons that are still clutching on for dear life.

The other day, I was vacuuming, and noticed a ton of dead gnats, my lemon looked infested. I did some research and diagnosed them as funus gnats. I drilled holes in the bottom of the pot (rookie mistake i know, should have done it off the bat), turned the soil to about half way down the pot, watered it with chammomile tea, and sprinkled cinnamon on the surface. I also went to war with the gnats and sucked up a bunch with the vacuum. I couldn't see any at the end of it and felt like I had won. 3 days later, I'm inspecting the plant and there are more gnats! I don't know what do to anymore.

I can't put it outside because it's -30 with the windchill and there is 3 feet of snow in my backyard, which also makes me scared to repot it. However, if I don't, I worry it wont make it until Late March/April when I can get outside and change the soil.

So i'm turning to the experts... is there anything I can do to save my lemon tree?

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (11)