SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganovice

Pear tree info (identify, tips)

ganovice
12 years ago

Hello, fellow gardeners, I am new to gardening and canning, and would like to draw on your collective expertise. I have been reading for a while, and I am confident someone here can help me. I need to identify a pear tree that I have seen in northeast Florida since I was a boy, and now have access to at my new home in southeast Georgia. It is the only type of pear tree I have seen in my neck of the woods, and is apparently not uncommon in these parts.

My granny had one in Florida, and we always called the fruits "alligator pears," presumably because of their thick, tough skins. They are round fruits, green, and sometimes have some brownish coloration. Aside from that, I really can't tell you very much. They are apparently quite hardy, and I'm not sure they don't grow wild. From my searches, my best guess is that it is a type of Asian pear, but if so, I am not sure what variety.

I need to know what they are, if they preserve well, and if so, where I might find recipes for canning. If necessary, I suppose I can go the "trial by error" route, but I'm hoping the obviously knowledgeable posters here can allow me to benefit from that knowledge, which would really go a long way toward tweaking the learning curve, potentially saving me a great deal of time and effort!

I'm feeling fortunate to have discovered this site, and am learning a great deal, so I offer my most heartfelt gratitude whether anyone can help me with this specific quest for knowledge or not. I apologize for being unable to give you more to go on...

Comments (4)