SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nehpets81

Cyperus Problem - Hard Water?

nehpets81
10 years ago

Hello everyone, this is my first post after spending the last few months lurking!
I was hoping to get some insight into whether I can keep my Cyperus (Umbrella plant) alive.

I grew it from seed and it is now about a year old but it is looking a bit sick. The leaves initially grow green but then gradually fade to brown. It seems that the rate of decline is such that there is usually just one green leaf on it at any one time as the leaves die off in the time it takes to grow a new one.

The plant is sat on a Wet facing window sill but does not get any direct sunlight due to a building blocking it out. I keep it in a tray of water to keep the compost wet.

A few ideas - I have not fed the plant for a long time - does it need fertilizing? The other thing that has recently occurred to me is that I live in a very hard water area and water with tap water - could this be the issue? I noticed a solid white build up on the bottom of the pot which I presume is related. I have also noticed that the surface of the soil has a number of springtail like creatures - I assumed these to be harmless....

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH