SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilikewinter

Pics- Please Help! Strawberries suddenly wilted in 3 hours!

ilikewinter
15 years ago

Please help!

Before I left the house this morning my strawberries all looked great: tall, leafy, healthy and happy looking plants. I just returned home and looked over my plants and was shocked to see my strawberries in a very poor state. This happened in the matter of 3 hours- no more. They are wilting, leaning over the edges of their container, some of the leaves are beginning to get crisp. I am afraid I'm going to lose some of them; it seems almost inevitable based on the condition of their leaves. I haven't noticed any pests on them- I check my plants once to twice a day for pests (I container garden, so this is easy for me to do). A couple of the leaves had some lighter green coloring around the edges, but I only noticed this on a few. When I just went back outside to check on them, I did see a tiny (1.5 mm) fly on one of the leaves that I have never seen before- had some striping on the back end- was not a hoverfly (smaller, less bee-like, and with reddish eyes- didn't stick around long enough to take a picture). Not sure if he is the culprit, as I've never seen him.

I inter-planted spinach along with the strawberries and they appear affected as well. Could it be the heat (they've been fine, though, with the same temperatures up til now, if so)? We are in the high 80's, but I am on a south facing 3rd story balcony, so it could feel hotter, although I thought strawberries liked sun and heat.

The soil is moist (not wet), so it's not because they need water or have too much (I don't think!).

Please see the link below to see pictures of before and afters of the strawberry plants...

My husband and I are newlyweds and this is our first garden experience. Being both college students, we don't have a lot of money to sink into things, but we have invested a lot into our little garden and have been proud of the work so far. It would be heartbreaking to lose any of our plants, especially the strawberries, as they were one of the first plants we purchased. Please lend some advice or knowledge if you can!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to pictures of strawberry problem

Comments (13)