SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilikewinter

Pics-Master Gardener couldn't figure it out... strawberry problem

ilikewinter
15 years ago

I tried posting this problem in the Fruits forum, but no one seemed to know, and today I'm kinda thinking it's something other than the plant itself, so I'm hoping someone could help here.

Here's my entry from that post, with an update on what's going on today:

5/19/08

Strawberries suddenly wilted in 3 hours...

Before I left the house this morning my strawberries all looked great: tall, leafy, healthy and happy looking plants. I just returned home and looked over my plants and was shocked to see my strawberries in a very poor state. This happened in the matter of 3 hours- no more. They are wilting, leaning over the edges of their container, some of the leaves are beginning to get crisp. I am afraid I'm going to lose some of them; it seems almost inevitable based on the condition of their leaves. I haven't noticed any pests on them- I check my plants once to twice a day for pests (I container garden, so this is easy for me to do). A couple of the leaves had some lighter green coloring around the edges, but I only noticed this on a few (3 or so). When I just went back outside to check on them, I did see a tiny (1.5 mm) fly on one of the leaves that I have never seen before- had some striping on the back end- was not a hoverfly (smaller, less bee-like, and with reddish eyes- didn't stick around long enough to take a picture). Not sure if he is the culprit, as I've never seen him.

I inter-planted spinach along with the strawberries and they appear affected as well. Could it be the heat (they've been fine, though, with the same temperatures up til now, if so)? We are in the high 80's, but I am on a south facing 3rd story balcony, so it could feel hotter, although I thought strawberries liked sun and heat.

The soil is moist (not wet), so it's not because they need water or have too much (I don't think!). I only just planted them this season when they came into the nursery (so they've been in since late March, about. They've been in the same location the entire time. The temps have been about the same all week, although about a week and a half ago they were much cooler (about a 20 degree difference). But they have been fine up until today, when this happened.

Then today: 5/20/08

Strawberries are in worse shape this morning. They seemed to perk up quite a bit (not perfectly) last night, but it's not even hot out this morning, so I'm ruling that out. More leaves are dry and turning brown. Today I saw one tiny white fly (not sure if it's the bad kind). Some leaves are curled in, but many are not.

I called the county extension (Master Gardener's) and he couldn't think of anything off the bat for some reason. Of course, he can't see them, so that would make it harder. Hopefully, the pictures on my blog will help someone ID what is going on.

Please see the link below to see pictures of before and afters of the strawberry plants...

I'm new to all this gardening thing (obviously, I'm sure), but I've tried to educate myself about things as much as possible. My husband and I are college students and don't really have a network of gardeners to get advice from where we are, but we love our little balcony garden and have put a lot of time into planting and caring for it. It'd be a shame to lose any plant.

jean001- thanks for your help so far, as well. I have a feeling you'll be reading this. =)

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of pictures of the problem...

Comments (15)