SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tractatus

Help me save my braided marganita!

tractatus
15 years ago

Hi. I bought this plant from Loblaws (Canadian supermarket) for $10 recently. The leaves weren't all that pretty in the store, but after a few days, for many of the leaves (ones that seem closer to the window), half of each leaf would turn light green and papery (ie. half-dead). The actual name of the plant is not on the tag it came with. (The tag only says "moderately moist, filtered sun to partial shade, 16-28C). The plant appears similar to the Braided Marganita species (the trunk is braided), except the leaves are not long, nor is there any trace of red in any of them. So I'm not sure what dracaena this is.

I have since put up see through curtains to shield the plant from the midday sun, assuming this is what is meant by "filtered sun". No change in its condition yet. A few leaves are yellow, many have brown tips, and many more are half-dead (see picture). In the store, many of the leaves had white spots, which was from bug repellant residue, but I washed this off most of the leaves.

What I'd like to know is: exactly what species is it, does it want sun or not want sun, and what do I do with the leaves that are half dead? Prune them, and if so, how do I best remove them?

Assume I know NOTHING about caring for plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of plant

Comments (8)