SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

Were those millipedes in the soil???

tisha_
18 years ago

We were at Lowe's last night and picked out a big beautiful 4' tall corn plant for my Valentine's Day. Keith went over to buy some screws or something, so I was waiting for him and I was messing with the soil on top of the plant (just moving it around because it was uneven, really) and OMG! a bug that looked a heck of a lot like a millipede started crawling around frantically. Then I noticed a few dead ones on top too. Then I noticed dead ones sticking out of the drainage holes!!!

I found a guy who worked there, but he didn't work in the plant dept, so he called someone (he was freaking out too) and this lady comes out and says, "Oh, they won't hurt anything. They aerate the soil!" and just started playing with this bug and letting it crawl all over her hand. OMG So I said, "Well, I'm buying this as a house plant. I'm going to be putting it in my bedroom right next to my bed!" and she said, "Oh, they won't hurt you." OMG Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

Did I overreact? Were they even really millipedes or is there some kind of something that looks like millipedes that they could have been?

Anyway, I'm calling back today to let the manager know that there seems to be some kind of infestation. The plant I picked was right in the middle of a whole giant flat of them.

Comments (24)