SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Another blueberry post - please bear with me!

2ajsmama
14 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, though not new to GardenWeb. I did a search, looked at a lot of blueberry posts but not all. We live in NW CT zone 6 on 97 acres, most is forest, some hayfields. We have a mix of (wild?) blueberry bushes, some are small (low) but still produce berries so I don't know if they're mature and just a lowbush variety. Others are more like shrubs/trees. All have fairly small dark berries, though the lowbush(?) ones might have a little larger/lighter color than the tall ones, they are nothing like the store-bought (tasteless) berries or even the cultivated kind my great-uncle grows. I'd have him out to look but he's 96 and doesn't get around well. Maybe I should bring him some leaves and berries to identify the varieties?

Anyway, we found these bushes along the fringes of the hayfields as we started clearing from decades of neglect. Some (very small ones) are near where we cleared for our house and yard 3 yrs ago. I'd love to plant more, might transplant some but I don't want to lose the ones we have, would rather just buy and plant more.

Can someone recommend some good wild types? I don't want the typical "Jersey" berry and I really don't even want the same type(s) as my uncle, though I'd take some if/when he start(ed/s) thinning them out.

The wild ones as I said are growing along the fringes of the cleared areas where they meet with a mix of hemlock, hickory, white pine and oak forest. I'd like to plant some along the front porch more as ornamentals since we don't have much topsoil and the whole property (at least what has been cleared) is ledge, which is why my family has never been able to raise anything but hay and cattle on it. I don't have the depth in the front of the house (or on the north slope behind) to plant trees, gotta do things like laurels and lilacs, azaleas, blueberries(?) that have shallow roots and send out runners but I'd like them to grow tall enough to shade the porch some, laurel is a slow grower and I think blueberries are more attractive than the gnarly laurel. I do like the color of the blueberry foliage in the fall, though I've never noticed much for flowers (even on the bushes we've gotten fruit off of).

Will blueberries do better in full sun? The front of the house faces west and also gets a lot of southern sun. We also have a slope (ledge) on the back of the house that gets southern sun, that's where we'd like to have the fruit-bearing type(s) rather than just (purely) ornamental. How much sun and how much soil do they need? We probably wouldn't bring in more topsoil, could do raised beds if the original (forest) soil on that slope isn't any good. But the mountain laurel and few blueberries we have there seem to like it. Just asking about sun b/c the current blueberries (and laurel) are growing as underbrush, don't get a lot of sun right now, we have some blueberries on north side of house, south side of house, and east side of hayfield. Never noticed any on west side of a clearing so I guess morning sun isn't enough for them? Thanks.

Comments (7)