SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Apricot and plum fruit set report

Scott F Smith
17 years ago

Apricots

Puget Gold and Tomcot both did very well, as did Gheissi of Damavand, a Persian type I have. I didn't calculate an exact percentage but it seems like a good proportion, 50% or better, set. Harglow set a few, and Noori was similar. Shekar Pareh and Canadian White Blenheim set almost nothing. I don't think the latter two are going to make it in my climate.

Plumcot/Pluot

both my Flavor Supreme and Flavor King have only a couple fruitlets now and usually 3/4 or more drop on them in a few weeks so it will be yet another year of near-nothing. I am starting to topwork them over, their days are numbered.

My unknown Burbank plumcot looks like it will set well.

Plums

Shiro is way overset, it will need major thinning. An unnamed Japanese-American hybrid plum I have also way overset. Santa Rosa did a bit better than in past years but again quite a few of those seem to drop even after set. I may get enough to think of keeping the tree. Howard Miracle looks similar to Santa Rosa. Satsuma, Elephant Heart, and Wickson set nothing. Elephant Heart was also not getting over the shot-hole disease so I topworked the whole tree a few days ago.

All the other flowering trees were late enough to have evaded damage.

Overall I am finding some bright spots amongst the apricots and am getting jaded on the pluots and (pure) Japanese plums. They are also leaf disease magnets. In the past couple years I added more hybrid types, such as Superior, Redheart, Red Ace etc which I hope will do better. Shiro sets well but is somewhat unexciting in flavor.

Feel free to chime in with how your trees did.

Scott

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!