SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Apricot report 2013

Scott F Smith
10 years ago

Heres this year's apricot report.. I added many new varieties last year and while a few fruited this year, next year will be my big year for getting lots of new varieties (I hope). This year I had no squirrels until the apricots started to ripen and then I got mobbed, they usually come a bit later and mob my early peaches and plums instead. Anyway I didn't get any of the later apricots at all unfortunately.

Here is what fruited this year, in order of ripening.

Early Blush - Was very early (1st week of June) and a good fruit in all respects. Its no Tomcot for taste but it spreads out the harvest and is a great second or third variety.

Tomcot - I almost forgot to list this guy, I just take it for granted. Its my all-around favorite apricot: super reliable, productive, incredibly sweet and flavorful. A real wow! It needs to be thinned enough or will produce small fruits.

NJ Experiments - I am growing some experimental varieties which are not released. I hope they release them, they are very good.

Orangered - Ripe June 30th. Fruits were large and blushed red. The taste is a mild liquid peach/apricot flavor. It is a very well-balanced and refreshing flavor. it is not as strong as Tomcot which tastes fresh more like the intense flavor of a dried apricot. I had no problems with diseases, cracking, etc. Overall, it is looking like a very good apricot worth keeping! This was the first year it fruited so I will have to give it a few more years to get a full opinion on it, there were not many samples this year and the graft is relatively recent.

Sugar Pearls - This is the first year of fruit for this variety. Its an OK apricot. It is not very sweet or flavorful, its nothing like Zard or the other truly tasty white fleshed cots. I will give it a year or two more but this variety looks like much ado about nothing at this point. It didn't set many fruits but the tree is still young.

Moniqui - This is my best white apricot by far (I tried over a dozen white apricots). Most are far too unproductive. Moniqui is excellent tasting, one of the best, and sets a very good load for me. The only downside is the fruits are on the small side.

Helena - This is a new California-bred apricot. Like most of the CA bred ones, its looking like a bust in the east. It gets bad peach scab spotting in spite of heavy sprays I did on it. Dropped prematurely as well, but it will take a few years to see if it outgrows that. I did not get an optimal sample due to the dropping, but I did get some reasonable tasting fruit. Fruit are huge and have a nice strong flavor, with very orange crunchy flesh, but low in sugar. With the bad scab I expect this variety will get removed soon, life is too short to grow difficult varieties.

Shalah - squirrels.

Lasgerdi Mashaad - squirrels.

Shekar Pareh - This is an "aprium", its a plum/apricot hybrid that tastes very much 50-50 plum-apricot. It took several years to get productive but now produces very well. It needs heavy thinning. The tree is also far too vigorous and requires a lot of summer pruning. I have had dropping problems so have been harvesting earlier, when they are pleasant tasting but lower in sugars and more sour. I got a few more ripe ones this year which were more like apricot, more sweet, and much better. Most of the fruit are still hanging and I am going to let them hang as long as I can to see how they taste.

Weinberger - This is also an "aprium" as far as taste; it looks like a fuzzy purple plum but tastes like a nice combination of plum/apricot flavors. The flesh is intensely orange; the combination of strongly purple exterior and strongly orange interior is very striking. I had problems with early dropping but now that the tree is maturing the fruit is sticking. Smaller than Spring Satin and more orangish flesh. Needs to hang a VERY long time after it changes color, I have been picking too early. The Shekar Pareh has been having similar early drop / needs to hang late issues so it may be a pattern in these hybrids that I hope they mature out of. I had no problems with diseases etc on the fruits. A few more years are needed to evaluate this unusual fruit but its looking pretty interesting. Arboreum was my source for this one.

Scott

Comments (16)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County