SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Greenhouse apricots: 2009 variety report

Apricots have been pretty easy to grow in my greenhouse. 2009 has been a good year. Harvest started about a month ago and is winding down now. So from earliest to latest, here are my thoughts on this yrs crop.

Tasty Rich: Very good size and eating quality for such an early cot. Part of the earliness is likely due to the fact that it blooms very early under my conditions. Needs to fully ripen on the tree. Then the quality is excellent; sweet with a full apricot flavor.

Honey Rich: Good size, fair/good quality, softens quickly.

Tomcot: Medium size, blocky, with very good quality. Sweetness and flavor about the same as Tasty Rich.

Robada: If grown with good sun exposure, this cot can be the best I've ever eaten. Extremely sweet and great flavor. Large fruit and a beautiful red blush in the sun. Fruit in the shade is about on a par with shade grown Tasty Rich or Tomcot. Like most cots has about a one day harvest window for peak quality.

Cot-N-Candy: First year for fruit on this white fleshed variety. Not much on size or appearance but big on sweetness and flavor. The flavor is different than any other cot I've got. In this aprium I really do think I can taste a plum flavor. Unique, I really like it.

Next yr I'll have fruit on Autumn Glo, Earli Autumn, Canadian White Blenheim, and possibly Hunza. I'm going to concentrate on trying to grow all the cots with as much sun exposure on the fruit as possible. I'll open up the canopy more, thin more, and only leave fruit that will get some direct sun.

Hope to hear your reports soon.

The Fruitnut

Comments (17)