SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Freeze damage report

Have not yet seen much about damage from the "big freeze" 3wks ago. In Alpine Texas (monthly temp data can be found at www.weather.com) we got down to about 27-28F with 36hrs near freezing. I thought maybe things would be fine since it stayed cloudy the entire freeze. Had been over a month with no temp below 37F. All outdoor fruit was past full bloom but some apples had late bloom remaining.

The freeze killed 100% of apricots and plums that were 1/2 to 1 inch size. Peaches were about the same size and there may be a few left, well less than 1 in 100. Some hanging on the tree have grown quite a bit but when cut open the seed is dead in most cases so they will fall. This is three yr in a row without a peach crop.

Took about two wks to decide many of the apples are going to make it. Nearly 100% loss on Pink Lady... only a little late bloom will fruit. Gold Rush on the same tree full crop. Fair to good crop of Gala left. Many Gala have russeting type frost marks on the side of the fruit. Golden Del similiar. Fuji has a full crop as it's bloom was somewhat later. Many Fuji have frost marks much different from Gala. Think of a miniature pumpkin with deep creases down the side and considerable damage on the blossom end of the fruit. But the seeds are viable looking in this fruit and I think it will make. Fortunately, enough fruit remains that I can remove most of the worst deformed fruit.

All of the above is on outdoor fruit, not in my greenhouse. My observations to date indicate that the greenhouse, with it's double inflated IR poly, provides about 6-8F protection when heavy clouds exist. But with clear skies it gets almost as cold inside as out. This might feed into what someone else saw with their attempts to save their crop with covering or lights.

The Fruitnut

Comments (12)