SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Greenhouse fruit report

I thought someone might be interested in how the fruit harvest is going in my greenhouse. Apricots, blueberries, and sweet cherries started in mid April.

So far have eaten Tasty Rich, Honey Rich, Tomcot, Robada, and Cot-N-Candy apricots/apriums. Ripening in that order. Honey Rich is the only marginal variety. The others have been very good to great. Flavorella, a peach/plum cross has been great the last two yrs. Have finally had some sweet enough to balance out the tartness.

For sweet cherries I've really liked Royal Rainier, Bing, and Rainier this yr. Only complaint there is way too few fruit. Cherries on Gisela 5 haven't done well in the greenhouse. Have heard they don't like heat or drought stress. Am going to try Krymsk 5 next. One variety that hasn't been good this yr is Sonata. Huge and beautiful black fruit but they're soft and sour.

For blueberries right now I'm liking the Star better than Santa Fe. But Star may just be riper since it is earlier.

All in all a good yr so far. Most of the plums and pluots are changing color. I really like that visual effect. The early nectarines have great color, bright reds with a fine russet on the tips that has heralded high quality in the past.

The Fruitnut

Comments (2)