SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilpup_gw

Fruit tree questions (apples and figs)

devilpup
12 years ago

I planted a couple of Fuji trees last October along with a Fig. I wasn't the best about watering them at first but after the first two to three weeks I was able to get to where I watered them about 5 gallons at a time, once a week. All the trees lost their leaves over the winter.

Now it's warming up and while most of the other plants around that have been in the ground for a while are starting to bloom and get leaves, mine are just sitting there like sticks. The apple trees are still really flexible so I don't think they're dead and dried out, but I'm not seeing any signs of them doing much right now. Do you guys think at this point that something went wrong or do I have to just be patient and sit back? What kind of growth should I look for in the first year on apples? I am kind of worried because even the new trees they're getting in at the home improvement stores are looking really alive and vibrant, while mine...not so.

I was also pretty bummed because I went to check my fig tree to see if it was alive. I checked to see if it was flexible and when I did it just snapped like an old dried up branch! I don't know if maybe the roots are alive and will grow a new tree or if it's dead and there's no hope, but I do know it was pretty dried out :(

I have a couple of pomegranates that I put in the ground around November too and I'm not sure what to do with those. They're not so dried out to the point of being brittle, but again I'm not seeing any leaf development or anything.

I know it's not a fruit but I have a Chinese Pistache doing the same thing, just sitting there like a twig.

Do you guys think something might have gone wrong or am I overreacting a little? How long do you guys think I should wait before I think about ripping anything out and starting over?

Thanks

Comments (3)