SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cipher0

New to apple trees: fruit thinning, bugs

cipher0
13 years ago

Hello,

Last summer we bought a house with a large mature apple tree. It only had a few small apples, so we assumed there weren't pollinators nearby and considered it ornamental only.

But now, after blooming gloriously a few weeks ago, I think it's setting fruit. Just like I've read, the ones with outward-pointing sepals are falling off, but those with upward-pointing sepals (an awful lot!) remain and are getting larger.

Since we didn't expect any fruit, getting a good crop isn't my first concern, though that would be a neat bonus. My top priority is the tree itself. It's a great tree that stole the show this spring, and we want to keep it healthy. To that end, I have a few questions.

1. I've read the fruit must be thinned, but I can't imagine doing that myself on such a tall tree. Can I hire someone, and if so how much should I expect to pay? Our yard has limited access for equipment  nothing large could get there without serious damage. But the Denver winds get intense... torn off branches are common, even when they're not fruit-laden.

Will squirrels or birds eat enough to help? We have plenty of both, and I have no problem with them taking what they want if it helps the tree.

2. Today I noticed quite a few bugs on the tree that look like small red and brown beetles. (pictures below) They move quickly, and aren't covering the tree thickly, but I can find one or two just about anywhere on it if I look hard enough. Can anyone tell me what they are, and what they might do? I don't want to spray poisons if I can help it, as we loved the wildlife in the yard last summer, including other insects like dragonflies and honeybees.

3. I also noticed that many fruit have small round clear droplets on them. They are sticky. I haven't noticed them on the leaves or stems. Is this honeydew? Eggs? Something normal?

Any advice or insight would be most appreciated!

Justin

Pictures

Tree:

{{gwi:100698}}

Fruit:

{{gwi:100699}}

Bugs:

{{gwi:100700}}
{{gwi:100701}}
Droplets and bugs:

{{gwi:100702}}

Comments (2)