SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike48858

Growing raspberries for the first time

mike48858
15 years ago

Hi all! Every year I like to try something I've never done before in the garden. This year, I want to grow raspberries, but I need some advice before starting out.

I did not prepare a site last year, as I've read you should. The area where I want to grow them is neglected and covered with weeds. Do you think I will be able to prepare a spot for raspberries in the spring while it is still optimal planting time?

I have settled on Caroline as one variety to grow, but I also want to plant a Summer bearing variety. Which would you suggest? I only want to grow red types.(for now) Can you suggest a nursery that does internet orders? (I've only checked Gurney's so far)

I think the space I have is enough for only about 12-15 plants. Do you this is enough for a family of three that really loves raspberries?

How does everyone here protect their berries from birds? I know you could cover your plants with bird netting, but that seems like such a chore if your berry patch is rather large. What other things have you tried?

That's about all the questions for now. I'm sure I'll be back with more later, though. This forum needs a FAQ page!

Thanks, and keeping thinking SPRING!

Comments (9)