SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macheske

Growing grapes for first time - need clarification

macheske
15 years ago

I'm going to be growing grapes for the first time this year. I have 6 vines being delivered in the spring from Double A vineyards. They are all table grapes (Himrod, Jupiter, and Reliance). I've read a couple books on berries and am left with a big question. What training/pruning method do I use? Double A suggests using Modified Munson but that looks a little complicated and I can't seem to find much detail on it. I want to use two wires, one at 3' and the other at 6' and train such that I have a arm (cordon) on each top wire but I'm not sure this will work out for these varities. The Himrod and Jupiter are "semi-upright" while the Reliance is trailing. Does this mean that Himrod and Jupiter would be better on a low wire cordon and Reliance would be better on a high wire cordon? I found a very interesting series of videos on YouTube from a very small vineyard in Napa called One Acre Winery.

http://www.oneacrewine.com/pages/video.html

I believe he does what is called cane pruning on a low wire cordon trellis. He always prunes back to the trunk and does not leave any Cordons each spring. I understand how the pruning works but am not sure this method is correct for these varities. I would also use a different trellis if I used this method.

I have also seen many videos and read about spur pruning. I believe this is when you leave permanant cordons and prune at the spurs.

My big questions are, what is the proper trellis to use (High-wire Cordon, Low-wire Cordon, Umbrella Kniffin, or Four wire Kniffin)? Also, do I cane prune or spur prune?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Comments (5)