SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

Rant on ignorant public/nurseries

While I am happy to see any homeowners in suburbia buying fruit trees, I just have to rant about the newest nursery practice and the public who are fooled by it.

My favorite local nursery has sold their Dave Wilson bare-root trees for $19 every January for several years now. For convenience sake, they have always put them in fiber pots filled with potting soil, and then after bare-root season, the trees stay in their pots and are sold for $30-40.

Well, this year they have decided to put some of them in small pots, and others in the next size pots. They are pricing the small ones at $30 and the larger pots at $40-$60!!! Mind you, these are all new bare root trees. I can only assume the trees which were put into the larger pots weren't root pruned as badly as the ones put into the small pots. Last year, all these trees would have been $19 in January. I am sure Joe Public thinks with the $50 ones you get "more tree" because it's in a bigger pot than you do if you bought a $30 tree, even though they are the same variety and were all delivered at the same time.

While I know small nurseries are struggling, and I truly want to keep this nursery around, it just seems such a scam to me to charge 3 times more this year than last simply because when they got them from Dave Wilson in January, the bare-root trees were put into a pot 2 inches wider.

Other nurseries around here either haven't raised their prices at all, or are charging a dollar or two more for bare-root trees, so we can't blame the wholesaler!

Carla in Sac

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths