SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macbirch

good luck, you're on your own (long rant)

macbirch
17 years ago

There's an occasional free give-away of CFL's at local shopping centres, funded by the Australian Government. So far so good.

Late last year I was talking to one of the girls. I didn't want to take the freebie (or six) if I couldn't use it and I remembered hearing that CFL's aren't as good in rooms where you switch them on and off all the time like bathrooms. Girl didn't know anything about that but she then said you can't use them with dimmers. Well, we've got lots of dimmers. I asked if I could buy dimmable CFL's anywhere and was told no such thing. Checked at the local lighting store and got the same advice, no such thing.

Soon after, I saw dimmable CFL's mentioned on GW. Back to the lighting store to find out when they might be available in Australia. The version this time was yes, they were available for a while but have been banned because they're not certified for sale. Huh?

Got more info from GW and other sources. The manufacturer said they've had them here for more than a year. Went back to the store. They had them. I asked why they didn't have them, or find out about them, when I asked a few months ago. Answer was they're new, just became available.

Rang organisation that runs the give-aways to let them know dimmable CFL's can now be purchased so maybe they could let people know. After all the point of what they do is to promote being green.

The give-away people were at the local shops again the other day. I asked about dimmable CFL's. They don't give them out but were able to say that they can be purchased. They found out a couple of weeks ago at another shopping centre. When I said I let their organisation know a couple of months ago they got very defensive. Excuse was that they aren't a lighting store so they aren't experts. When I pointed out that if they are funded by the government to promote green living they should know a bit about it, they got very nasty.

Just needed to vent. People like that do the environment a disservice. I wonder how many people threw out CFL's that proved to be incompatible with their dimmers, or went away believing that they couldn't get suitable CFL's. And if the people who get government funding to spread the green word are ignorant and disinterested about this, what else are they doing in a half-baked way. Doesn't do anything for their credibility in my eyes.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions