SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
folkvictorian

Craigslistings that make you go GRRRRR! (A long rant)

folkvictorian
13 years ago

What is it about animals that makes people so selfish? I don't understand someone who can get a pet and then just get rid of it with little or no thought. Here are some examples off of our local Craigslist:

6 y/o spayed female- american staffordshire terrior: need to re-home my baby. needs to be with ADULTS only NO CHILDREN. preferably older couple/single person. needs alot of attention very affectionate, a big baby, loving kind dog. generally quiet. she loves belly rubs, lounging on the couch, cuddling, long walks, and catch. housebroken-well trained, knows basic commands, and then some. ***serious inquires only, must have references and knowledge about this breed.***

And...

Awesome cat to a good home!! We got Steve from the Eau Claire Humane Association about three months ago. He is the sweetest, most laid back and lovable cat I have ever met. He loves to be held, get belly rubs, and scratch under his chin. He also loves sitting in windowsills, bird-watching, and mouse hunting. Steve is an awesome hunter, and has caught three mice since he moved in! He has been a great cat, and is quite the talker! There has been a misunderstanding between roommates regarding having a cat in our apartment, which has led us on a hunt to find a great owner for him. We have decided that finding him a home is very important to us, as he is such an awesome cat! We are asking for $55 for him, which will include his collar, cat carrier, litter box, scoop, and the remaining food in his bag (about 20lbs of food, which will go pretty far with him!). At the moment he is living near Downtown Eau Claire, but we are willing to arrange a meeting point if you live out of town.

_____

Excuse me? You're throwing your pet away and you want the buyer to provide REFERENCES??? An American Staffordshire Terrier is very similar to a pit bull. What's the chance of that dog finding a good home? The worst offenders on Craigslist are the folks who spend a lot of money on a "purebred" dog and then tire of it and try to get their money back when selling it on CL. The concept of purebred animals being sold for hundreds of dollars makes me crazy -- it just means that the father and mother are (possibly) purebreds and they were mated and made babies. It doesn't mean that the babies have ANY of the physical or personality traits of the breed standard. It's all about greed and selfishness. A lot of the ads on CL now ask you to contact the seller to find out what the "rehoming fee" will be, since they know that CL doesn't allow the sale of animals; it only allows adoption with a small rehoming fee. The sellers want to cash in, so they don't list the fee within thier ads. Greed greed greed.

There's my rant! What say you?

Comments (16)