SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyamybobamy_gw

Must I Murder All My Little Darlings? (Tomato Question)

amyamybobamy
12 years ago

I created a square-foot raised-bed vegetable garden in the back yard this year, and according to instructions a SINGLE square foot should have accommodated one whole tomato plant.

In reality, the tomato plants themselves have quickly grown to overwhelm the whole garden. They are in cages, but already taller than I am, and hardly anything has ripened yet. Each plant has more than a dozen good-sized tomatoes growing, but the vining is really totally out of control.

It's outrageous.

It's overtaking the peppers, the beets, the squash the peas, the beans, the corn ... the tomato plants have become monstrous.

I have pruned them aggressively every day for the past two weeks, and still they are coming back. I am collecting the adorable, darling little greenies that are on the hacked-off vines, but I need to know whether this kind of assertive pruning is appropriate.

I'm really not doing anything to make the vines grow. I'm not even watering them anymore because I heard that dry farming is now the tout-de-tout of the tomato growing world. But apparently my plants like it.

Help!!! I'm not even sure what kind of help I need (aside from intensive therapy or maybe herbicide).

Is this typical? Normal? Desirable? Am I doing the right thing?

And anyone have a few good recipe for teensy tiny little very green tomatoes?

Comments (8)