SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rod707

I think my hydrated lime may have deep-sixed my tomato plants

rod707
8 years ago

I have 14 EarthBoxes and have been using them for 7-8 years with great success. I have tomatoes in 11 of them, and each year about this time, I start to see a little BER, so I follow the EB recommendations and mix 1/4 cup of hydrated lime with a gallon of water. I did that a week ago, but I used a 1/3c measuring cup but tried to eyeball it, by not filling the measuring cup to the top. Last Sunday before adding the lime, my plants were all robust and a rich deep green. Two or three days after adding the lime, many of the leaves were limp and some of the branches had collapsed. The color turned from a deep healthy green to more of a light/medium green. The plants looked stressed and tired all of a sudden.

Now, a week later, many of the limp leaves have turned brown and the larger vines/stalks on some of the plants have a dried/hollowed look & feel to them. In fact, if you put the stalk between your finger and thumb and squeeze a little, there feels like there's not much structure. Many of the stalks with ripening fruit can no longer stand up straight and are bent. Moreover, many of the tomatoes that were in the midst of growing or ripening are now a little soft and dried-out looking.

The plans almost appear as they've been starved for water. But I've been flooding the earthbox with water the last 3-4 days in hopes. Some of the plants look like they do in late October, when it's time to pull them.

Today, I thinned out the worst looking plants cut off most of the stalks that felt soft and/or dried out. That left about half of my plants are now very sparse and spindly. I even yanked one plant altogether, as the entire root ball gave way easily when I tugged on one of the vines near the base of the plant. It almost looks like the plants are no longer capable of taking in the amount of water they need. It's almost like they're dying of thirst.

I'm now almost positive that too much lime is the culprit. I either used too much hydrated lime or I needed to fill the Earthbox up with more water immediately after adding the lime, to dilute it some more. I read elsewhere on line that hydrated lime increases the alkalinity whereas tomatoes like it to be more acidic.

I'm afraid that I may have already reached the point of no return with some of the plants and I fear that the others may soon meet with a similar fate. Though, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any bright ideas that might rejuvenate them or reverse what's happened so far. I'm hoping that by cutting off most of the dying stalks the plant will have enough energy to grow healthy new vines and I'll end up with a late tomato harvest.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (25)