SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

Homemade Shade for my Lettuce

ole_dawg
16 years ago

Homemade shade for my lettuce

Well we had a serious rain and wind storm the other night and it wrecked my home made shade that I had jury rigged from an old canopy frame. The problem was, IMHO, that it was too rigid and the thin metal poles bent every which way. The new project will be built from ½ PVC Sch 40 conduit. I will start on Friday or Saturday and will photograph the progress and post the pics. The game plan will be to use old sheets for the covering until I can afford shade cloth. As I go along I would appreciate comments and suggestions on how to continue.

I plan for a unit 15 feet long by 6 feet deep. The leading edge (Afternoon sun) will be 4 feet and the back edge (Morning sun) will be 6 feet or so. I will be using tees, crosses, couplings, and both 45 and 90 degree long sweep elbows. I will, of course have to change it as I go along- hehehe to allow for "Improvements" hehehe. I will post the final figures as to cost when I am done. To date I have gotten the material from LoweÂs and it is cheap enough so far. The reason I am building shade is that there is no natural shade nearby and the house does not provide enough until late in the day and I would like the lettuce to be in shade from about 12:00 noon on. I plan to shade about 20 to 26 containers and will use an existing LPG tank for an anchor and the legs will be set in ½ concrete blocks to provide the weight to withstand the wind. The key, IMHO, to the hopeful success of this unit will be that it will be flexible and bend with the wind. Total cost excluding the block, which are free, is expected to be under $25.00. We shall see. I tend to OVER BUILT and must endure the neighborly nickname of OVERBUILD, OVERKILL JACK

Comments (35)