SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

Mix and questions on shade for lettuce, etc.

ole_dawg
16 years ago

I posted this in general gardening before I realized I wasn't in container gardening SORRY

Ok, here are the questions. I am gardening in containers. I am growing mostly Lettuce, some kale and some spinach, also a few Zukes and Okra in 2 ½ gallon plastic pots. The containers for the greens are approximately. 15/17" by 20/21" by 8 inches deep. I have been using a mixture of store bought potting/container mix. To that I have been adding Black cow, worm castings, peat and some mushroom compost. It is starting to breakdown (get smaller/finer) and it is getting heavy/compacted. As I have been finishing with one batch of lettuce and stuff I have been dumping to mix out and remixing it, but now I feel I need to add some more goodie to lighten up the mix. I AM ON A VERY LIMITED BUDGET and donÂt have to money to just go out and buy 10 bags of Potting mix like I did when I started. I have to try and do this on the cheap. I plan to buy some more perlite and aged pine bark fines. The bark I have found in two cu ft bags and it is aged and I can handle several bags of that, but the perlite I have found is in small bags and is to expensive. I will look more this week for cheaper perlite. I had also planned to add some more worm castings and I do still have slow release plant food and will add that as well. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Question # 2 I have been drilling lots and lots of 3/16" holes for drainage and I am wondering if maybe I have drilled too many. How many do you think should be enough for a container that size? I can always cover some holes with duct tape (God I love that stuff) to come up with the ideal number. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Question # 3 it is getting hot here and I have gotten from a neighbor an old frame to a canopy without the cover. I am using the poles to make another frame to support some shade for the lettuce to try and stretch the growing season. I have already started heat tolerant lettuce, but I still want to shade it some. I have a choice of using an old sheet or one of those summer weight blankets, the kind that is very loose weave.

WHICH WOULD YOU RECOMMEND? Think FREE when you come up with suggestions.

Question # 4 should I shade the lettuce containers from the morning or the afternoon sun. It gets light here at 6:00am and the sun doesnÂt go down until about 7:00 pm. I can put the shade for either exposure. WHICH WOULD YOU SUGGEST?

Please remember that I am on very limited income and I have already broken the budget to get started, but I have enough containers and basic "soil" to carry on thru this year. This extra food is a major part of my diet.

Thanks for the help in advance.

One eyed Jack and the three legged cat AKA "The Dawg"

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting