SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james83_gw

lettuce nutrient concentration Question

james83
14 years ago

I am a beginner in hydroponics and have made a 5 gallon deep water culture system, I am going to try lettuce first. I have nice looking seedlings going with just water in the system and I am trying to find out how much plant food to put in the system. I know I should have an EC meter but I don't have one yet, so I am trying to ballpark concentrations. After doing some research I found some similar "recipes" for lettuce nutrient mixes. for 5 gallon mixes most of them say

2 tsp. hydroponic fertilizer (8-15-36)

2 tsp. calcium nitrate

1 tsp. magnesium sulfate

My problem is that the plant food i am using is Botanicare Pure blend pro grow (3-2-4), its directions say to add much much more than that (1 .5 tsp/gal for seedlings 1 tbs/gal for vegetative). I know that this amount is probably aimed at growing tomatoes/peppers/etc that need more food but it still seems way off. This product also contains calcium (1.0 %) and magnesium (.5%). I am assuming that I dont have to add Ca and Mg then???? maybe this food is all i need.

My main questions are

A. do i need to add Ca and Mg to this food?

B. Is the tsp/5 gallon ratio still appropriate for this food or do I need to add more (is this weaker than the 8-15-36)fertilizer?

thank you for any replies.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm