SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shawnalyn_gw

dwarf key lime tree acting strange

shawnalyn
13 years ago

I have a dwarf key lime tree. I've had it for about 2.5 years, and it's been growing in a pot since I first got it as a tiny tree (a few inches tall, maybe 6?). The tree has done well overall. No key limes on it yet, however. Up until about six weeks ago, the tree was probably 18" tall and very full with foliage. Well, six weeks ago it sent up a new branch. The branch has quickly grown to be about 18" tall (it grew out of an existing branch from the top of the tree, so in total the tree is about 3' tall now).

Here's the thing. The leaves don't look anything like the other leaves on the tree. They are significantly larger (probably 4x the surface area of the majority of the leaves on the tree). They are a shiny while the other leaves are matte. They have more pronounced veins. And, did I mention it's doubled its height in six weeks?? It shows no signs of stopping either.

I've tried to search around for an explanation, but I don't even know what to search for ... "mutant dwarf key lime growth?" So I am wondering if anyone has experience with this? Is this to be expected? Am I concerned over what is just normal and healthy growth? I will add that for the last 8 months, I have been adding compost to the planter periodically. However, other than that I've done nothing extraordinary. When it's warm outside, I put it outside and let the rain water it. When it gets cold for the year, I bring it in and water it every week or two.

Comments (4)