SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdave8666

Dwarf Key Lime indoor, no problem?

tdave8666
16 years ago

My question is, do citrus kept indoors during the winter grow much? Here's why I ask.

I bought what was sold to me as a dwarf key lime tree. I say that cause I bought it online and ya just never know what ya really get. Anyway, I'm in Iowa and it's cold/dark. A couple of weeks ago I decided that my lime might need some water. I'm petrified of over watering citrus indoors, so I've only watered a couple of times since October when I brought him in. I happened to have some "acid loving plant" fertilizer that I picked up this summer, just sitting around in my kitchen. Figured. . .meh, how much could a little bit hurt mixed into the water?

I just noticed the other day that almost every branch tip on my plant(not a tree yet)has between a quarter and a half of an inch of brand new growth that has appeared since then. When I bought him, he was barely a toothpick, and last summer he branched out a lot but didn't really get much taller. Since I've brought him inside in October, he's done nothing. Until I watered and included that fertilizer. He's in a south window, and I'm just chuffed that he hasn't died.

So, do most citrus still put out new growth in the winter if they're kept inside? Or is this maybe a reaction to the days starting to get longer?

Just wondering,

Thanks for any info,

dave

Comments (7)