SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycom_gw

Grafting onto a new bare root fruit tree questions

johnnycom_gw
13 years ago

Hi,

I recently purchased a bare root apricot tree and a bare root peach tree. Both trees are around a 3/4 inch caliper and have numerous lateral branches.

I want to graft two new varieties of peach onto the peach and two new varieties of apricot to the apricot, while retaining the original variety of each tree.

My plan for each tree would be to cut the tree back to just above the lowest three laterals, then cut one of the laterals back to two or three buds and retain, cut the other two back to before the first bud and then graft the two new varieties onto the stubs with a whip and tongue graft. I have suitably sized scion wood on hand to do this.

Is this the best plan? I've heard that peach is tricky to graft - apricot, too? I'm wondering what my fallback would be if one or both grafts failed -- would it be a good idea two keep two extra (higher) laterals and graft them too as spares? Or maybe keep a bud before the graft on each lateral that could become a new lateral of the original variety to graft or bud later? Or would budding later be a better way to deal with this in the first place?

I assume that I'd do the grafting after planting the tree,once the sap starts flowing, but probably cutting it back to above the first three laterals prior to planting (then cutting the laterals back just before grafting.)

Your thoughts on this appreciated. Just don't want to wreck my new trees!

thanks,

John

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting