SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deserthawk_gw

Any fruit tree that can draft onto a mulberry root?

deserthawk
9 years ago

I have a large, ~50 year old fruitless mulberry in the back yard, and another of similar age with a shooter but otherwise killed by may malicious former tenants. They may be on a fruited stock, as at least the shooter produces berries (very grassy in flavor). It is also possible that the base tree was fruiting; fruitless mulberries switching and bearing fruit at 40-50 years old is not rare around here (Las Vegas)

Anyway, they are both going in the overhaul of my yard. and planting of fruit trees However, i would hate to give up on these roots if I can put something "useful" on them--they're deep enough that they have found their own water (survived at least three years without being watered in the desert!

At the moment, there are a couple of cherry, peach, apricot, nectarine, fig, plum, pomegranate, apple, pear, and a fruit cocktail tree planted. (and some citrus in the greenhouse area)..

A particularly cold year here will see nighttime lows of 20F; more typically, it won't drop below the high 20s.

hawk

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath