SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Help Discern if Root Gall or Normal Nods

cebury
13 years ago

This is a new HoneyCrisp M-111 apple purchased bare-root yesterday from a Dave Wilson source.

Question 1) Do you think this is normal tissue or a bacterial Gall?

I really don't enjoy putting trees with gall into my tiny orchard area. So if I keep it, it'll go into a 20gal tub container.

Question 2) Assuming I keep a healthy container environment you think the odds are sufficient to risk, or just go return it? The only thing keeping me from driving back immediately is: 1)30 minute drive, 2)there are no bareroots anymore, they chopped up roots to fit into #5 containers, 3) I somewhat enjoy the risk for personal education, but don't want to flat out waste money.

Question 3) If it is enough to worry about spreading to other trees, I guess run-off from watering is enough to risk the spread, correct?

If it is gall, it seems I'm very unlucky with DWN trees as this is the fourth tree I've purchased in the last year that has some form of gall or nematode (the other 3 were peach/nectarine).

Root Flare:

{{gwi:57197}}

Closeup of 1 of the 2 Potential Galls:

{{gwi:57201}}

And last but not least, the final picture.

Please restrict yourself to Rated PG comments ;-) I realize what the pic resembles and chuckled when I read it might be "Hairy Root" disease. I did not intentionally take the pic from this angle.

Closeup of Between Flare and Graft

{{gwi:57203}}

Thanks in Advance,

Chris

Here is one source of info and after reading it seems it is somewhat ubiquitous anyway:

Crown Gall is most damaging in the nursery, and becomes most prominent and important where root-grafts are carelessly made. In many instances the affected plant shows no ill effects, and trees are said to outgrow the disease if they are well rooted. In certain other cases affected plants are dwarfed, which of course renders them less valuable. A common source of loss lies in the fact that other patho-genes enter plants through the gall - lesions.

Apple Crown Gall, Caused By Bacterium Tumefaciens E. F. Smith And Townsend

Comments (7)