SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Please help me understand about rose gall :disinfecting soil???????

User
7 years ago

This is going to be long, so please be patient. I've had a few cases of gall on some of my roses, and need to understand more about just what it is and how to act when it turns up. In all 4 cases, the rose in question was not enjoying proper conditions or soil,so it's a very different thing from what Patty W. is talking about.

First case: Brise Parfum; planted where no rose could possible be happy (stupid me). Threw it out.

Second: Mme Berkeley. This rose had been moved twice,and I'd re- planted it badly:on a slpoe, shallow soil,badly prepared. Since it was dwindling over an arc of say, 2-3 years, I dug it up once again, thinking to ditch it, but found a gall at the base of one branch. I cut the whole thing off at crown level and re-planted it , hopefully doing a decent job this time. This was last fall; it looks pretty good now: some burnt leaves over summer, and no flowers, but now that it's cool and rainy it seems to be growing. So here's QUESTION 1 : can I plant something else near to the former Mme Berkeley spot? I was thinking a Cercis, not a rose...should I disinfect the soil somehow before planting?

The third case was on an Excellenz Von Schubert. The plant was just sitting there,few leaves, looking bad. I found a gall , again at the base of a branch, and removed it at the crown,but didn't dig up the entire plant. QUESTION 2 : should I have done so? the remainder of the plant is still just sitting there; only one branch has leaves on it,no signs of growth...so what to do? dig around the base to look for other galls? problem with that is: if the rose does NOT have other galls, mightn't I risk infecting it by digging?or should I try cutting it back and fertilizing? Since there was one gall on it, should I just consider the soil to be infected and therefore not plant anything new there?What would you do in a case like that? This rose, too, has been there for a while, planted before I knew how to do soil preparation,so I dare say that if I were to dig it up, I'd find that the poor thing has been struggling along in pretty lifeless soil,but I'm also afraid to spread around gall bacteria if I DO dig it up...

Fourth case: Mrs Reynolds Hole. This one had been there say 5-6 years; maybe more. last year it didn't bloom much at all,and I realized that it was being swamped by an Austin right next to it. It was also planted WAY too deeply; I'd put in the Austin only about 3 years ago,and in the mean time had been adding soil and organic matter to the area,so Mrs. RH wound up having it's whole base buried way too deeply, and was clearly being dominated by the younger plant,( which had also been planted more properly by the gardener, lol, and therefore grows better. ExVS is in a similar situation,btw) I dug up Mrs. RH,and found that it had morphed into three plants: one was dead, with a big fat gall at the base; I broke that off entirely,leaving me with a large plant,with nice top growth but a sad root system consisting mainly of old anchor roots that clearly had never been able to grow down deep and straight,and some more vital-looking "own" roots. (it's a miracle that this plant had been able to do as well as it did over the years!) I trimmed off dead wood,and wiped all wounds with bleach, and then sealed them with wax,and then re-planted it in a new and hopefully better spot.The third little plant had two small galls hanging onto fine hairy feeder roots. I pulled these off and potted up the plant. But since I didn't realize that there was gall present , I just dug the plant up in my normal way, scattering the soil about amongst the other roses! So now what do I do? Also, I don't plan to plant anything in the exact spot where Mrs. RH was, but I would like to plant something next to this spot, higher up on the slope.

Sorry this is so long...basically it seems I'm asking about what to about soil in the case of gall...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations