SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsmekarak

Those **** Rabbits!!!!!!

itsmekarak
15 years ago

HELP! I have never had a problem with rabbits until this year and I am about ready to have rabbit stew! This year I planted a couple of early girl tomato plants just to see if they had the flavor of other longer maturing tomatoes. They are pretty good, however, they produce large fruit closer to the ground than any other variety I have planted in the past. Unfortunately, I have quickly learned that low to the ground makes it easy for those crazy rabbits to feast. After loosing about 8 tomatoes over the past week I called my local garden supply and they suggested fox urine. Last night I put out fox urine around the perimeter of the garden thinking I had found my solution. However, this morning when I went out three rabbits went running from inside my garden!!!! Another 2 tomatoes gone. Does anyone have any suggestions that could possibly assist?

Additionally, I have noticed large holes (about 3" deep x 2" wide) in my yard and near my garden. Because I have not had these before my rabbit problem I am wondering if this is a result of my cute but irritating little friends as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Happy Gardening - Kara

Comments (52)

• balsam_girl
    15 years ago

Menards sells 2 foot high metal fence they call rabbit fencing. Stiffer than chicken wire with smaller mesh towards the bottom. This spring it was $10 for 50 ft., but probably has gone up in price. That should do the trick but it won't keep chipmunks out.

• Related Discussions

First Winter with Roses

Q

Comments (10)
    I have a fenced in stockade at the rear of my property where I store my big stuff when not needed but I realize many don't have the luxury of such a storage area. Re; the wire cylinders, If made correctly, a few bent wires or cable ties can hold the ends together. Straighten the wires or cut the cable ties and lay the piece out flat for storage. A five foot long piece of wire makes a cylinder large enough to fit around most of my bushes, if the canes are tied together when placing the cylinders on the bush or the cylinders are placed on the bush after spring pruning when they are smaller. Really large bushes are not a problem for me so I don't need larger cylinders. Any rabbit damage to them is not noticable. The rabbits seem to leave the taller and larger ones alone. I don't advise flattening the cylinders. Trying to reshape them would be a daunting task. Unless you have a lot of patience, the reshaped cylinders would not be very nice looking. Mine are not that noticeable so I keep them on the bushes year round. No storage problem. In summer, foliage grows out hiding the cylinders, and the bushes grow taller than their two foot height.
    ...See More

Calling all Zinnia fans - show me your photos of Purple Prince

Q

Comments (1)
    I planted the purple & pink that are supposed to get 2 feet high, I will show you what I ended up with this weekend....hint....about 7 inches tall and the bloom is the size of a dime, pathetic & they were burpees too!!
    ...See More

Moringa, The Miracle Tree Planted and Sprouting

Q

Comments (1)
    Well, 5 days later they are now 6" tall and very leafy! We planted 4 more seeds. to replace the ones that didn't make it. One made it, but before we got it into it's gopher wire cage, some critter bit it off!! YIKES! It's little trunk is still green, but it doesn't have one leaf! It could sprout from below, but as insurance, we planted another seed next to it. I'm so excited that these trees grow FAST! Can't wait to start the FEAST!
    ...See More

Barn Building Advice Needed

Q

Comments (5)
    Kat, The US Dept. of Ag has a variety of free downloadable barn plans,.... http://www.ebackroad.com/0mwpsorg-freefarmplans.html That said, you will probably find that they are commercially oriented, but by pouring over them, you can figure out things like minimum space allotments for stalls and coops based on animal type. You need to figure out some things before you "guess out" your barn. Who and what you are going to keep there, how you will clean it, and finally once you have the size, how you will build it. The "cheapest" way to build a barn depends on local traditions and local materials. Around here, it is ether a pole barn constructed from standing timber like a log home, or a driven post and beam barn, (18" posts consiting of local timber, bottom treated with wood preservative, buried 5 feet in post holes, sheathed with 2' wide locally sawn planks lag bolted to the posts. For example, I have two barns, one for horses, one for "livestock", (really just peoples former pets and assorted characters living out their retirement in comfort). The horse barn in on the edge of a 1 acre corral, the livestock barn on the edge of a 10 acre fenced cross section. Both barns have concrete foundations and concrete floors. Entrance, Passage, stall gates and stall size are set up so that I can clean out the waste and soiled bedding with the Skidsteer. There is a central channel leading to a 3" drain and slurry pond, and a 2" water line, so that the walls and concrete floor can be hosed down clean and sterilised. For bedding, from the local Horse shop, I have gotten one inch thick 4 x 8 compressed rubber mats which line the stalls, overtop wood chips and straw are spread. As a result, cleaning all the stalls in both barns, washing the walls and sterilising the barns are a one person, one day chore, ( including loading the waste in the compost bins). The barns get cleaned out quite regularly, every couple of weeks in summer, every week in winter. You could use rammed earth or a floor instead of concrete, ( a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of cement, rototilled into the dirt, dampened, leveled and compressed with a vibratory plate compactor). The horse barn is 24 x 24 x 12 high, with a 16 foot loft for hay and feed storage. The walls are 2 x 6 studded on 24" centers, R22 insulated, (gets cold here), sheathed on the exterior with patterned OSB panels, primed and stained, sheathed on the inside with unpatterned OSB stained white. Stalls measure 8 x 8 with 4 x 4 picket sides and a 8' galvansied economy gate. There are 4 stalls on each side with a 8 foot central isle. The hay loft has an 8 x 8 trapdoor in the center providing access from inside the barn, and at the rear, a 6 x 6 door providing access from outside. Also in the hay lofts are a 6" x 8" Barn Owl entrance. Entrance to the barn is through a 12 x 12 tack room, dressing room, where the horses can be groomed, examined, bridled and saddled and the gear can be stored on the walls leaving the floor space open. Each stall has one double pane 4 x 5 foot sash window, and the east wall of the tack room has the door, and two 2 x 4 windows. The south wall has 3 4 x 5 windows. Inside the barn, at the other end, is another sliding door providing rear access to the barn. We currently have one colt, two riding horses and three dog food horses living with us. The livestock barn is similar, except the stall sizes are different. 4 8 x8 stalls line one side, 8 4 x8 stalls line the other. The cow gets an 8 x 8 stall, the two pigs share a 8 x 8 stall, 3 goats share one 8 x 8 stall, 2 other goats have individual stalls, 2 sheep share a 4 x 8 stall, with 4 sheep total in the barn, and the lamma has the last 8 x 8 stall. Unless ill, injured or nasty weather, everybody spends the day outside in the fresh air, and gets called to the barn at sundown. Pretty sad actually, clearing out beetle killed pine in a manly man way, chainsaw, axes and everything, followed around by a mangy pack of animals looking for affection, treats or just to hang around with me and the dogs. Sad thing is, the Belgan Shepard is nuts about fetch, and so is one of the pigs. I am working hard on getting them to take turns, as open competition is not fair to the pig, but then, I have been doing that for three years now to little success.
    ...See More
  • organic_garden
    15 years ago

ruthieg__tx rabbits will chew through a plastic fence.
    As in the other thread you did not think your answer through.

• bigfoot839
    15 years ago

rabbit stew and fried rabbit sound good to me after all seems your already fatening them up. lol

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Well for your information...That's exactly what I use to keep them out of my garden..and it works just fine....It doesn't take much to deter them...

• zeuspaul
    15 years ago

I tried the rabbit fence (smaller on the bottom and larger holes on the top). The rabbits jumped through the upper part of the fence. Now I use chicken wire.

Zeuspaul

• P POD
    15 years ago

Kara, I'm sorry about you loosing E Girls to the bunnies. Stew sounds good, and you need your tomatoes for cooking the stew, right....

A quick and inexpensive solution would be to install chicken wire, or plastic deer fencing ($50/roll/7 ft x 100 ft @ HD), around your tomatoes or around a larger section of your garden. You could get it up in hours (after you have the materials on hand).

The deer fence material could be cut down to a more manageable height, like four feet.

Don't forget sturdy gloves.

Buy extra fencing, because the corners take a lot of fence material if you bend it, less so if you cut it. If you cut it, you also need to splice it, and that's time consuming.

Four-foot rebars (home depot) make excellent posts.
    ÂPound them into the ground w/a steel mallet.
    ÂInstall tennis balls on top of rebars to prevent accidently poking out an eye when bending over to reach for something on the ground.

ÂFold the chicken wire, so some of it lays flat on the ground (like an L), and put something on top to hold it down on the ground, such as mulch (wet newspapers) or more rebars. This will prevent digging/crawling under the fence.

ÂAttach fence to rebars w/twine, cable ties, old hose, dental floss, whatever you have on hand. Just get something up quickly.

I'm planning on starting a thread about our electric fence. Will post a link as soon as it's up.

• itsmekarak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions. It was interesting to see how many of you pointed me to fencing and not chemicals. Tomorrow I will work on a 4' fence made from rabbit cage wire for my tomatoes. Thank you again everyone for your help!

• allison1888
    15 years ago

Yes, skip the chemicals. Don't think they work anyway -- other than to kill the rabbits, which should not be the goal.

• farmerboybill
    15 years ago

I don't like fences. They require trimming around, upkeep, and make it harder to operate a tiller. My area has a huge amount of rabbits but I get very little damage. I have a three prong approach - Distraction, dissuasion, and elimination.

First, distraction. I don't spray my yard to kill the dandylions or clover. Rabbits love clover and like dandylions. They'll eat them to their hearts content. They only start munching on my vegetables by accident. Then step two kicks in -

Dissuasion. Liquid Fence works great for me. When the rabbits hoppity hop through my pole beans and take a taste of a leaf, they get a mouthful of putrescent eggs and garlic. Usually, this is enough to get them scampering back to the clover. If I start to get more damage than these first two strategies can prevent, Step three.

Elimination. I took a screen out of my bedroom window and plink the cute widdle guys from there with a pellet gun. I also have a live trap in the garden. They hop in but they don't hop out.

Good luck. Frankly, I'm surprised a rabbit would eat a tomato, but I'm no expert on rabbits. Step two may not be the best because you'll have to put it directly on the tomatoes and I don't know if you want a mouthful of putrescent eggs and garlic any more than the rabbits do.

• blueridgedogwood
    15 years ago

I read this tip in one of Jerry Baker's book and it has worked for me for 3 years. I see rabbit droppings around my garden but never in the garden itself.

Get some small containers such as margerine tubs and put in a mixture of blood meal and a little water in the bottom. Slightly sink the tubs throughout the rows of your plants. It smells but it repels the rabbits -they HATE it.

Since blood meal is mostly nitrogen, the tubs keep it from going directly into the soil in large quantites. When it rains, pour off some of the water in an area that can use nitrogen and add more blood meal.

For less than $5 it is a good solution. As I said, this is the 3rd year I've done it and it has worked for me.

• rrleesb
    15 years ago

22s work great for rabbit eradication as well as many other varmints in the garden.

• tdscpa
    15 years ago

rrleesb:

I can't legally use my .22 magnum in the town where I live.

So, I acquired a quiet, .177 cal. Gamo varmint hunter pellet gun with add-on light, scope, and laser sight. 1,000 fps., much more effective (and quieter), than the bird-shot shells I tried in my .22 mag., and, as far as I can tell, legal.

Asked my "nurse" if she would like some fried rabbit, but I decided they were too small, and it would require way too much butchering and cleaning to fry up a meal, so I just fed them to my pet buzzards that constantly circle my yard, waiting for the day they can clean my bones.

I also shot a possum and a skunk, but I let the skunk get out of my yard before I zapped him.

Tom

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

Those POOR rabbits!!!

How can anyone shoot an animal that is just acting on instinct? That is almost like someone shooting you for taking a piece of candy from the jar at the bank teller window!

If you have a plant or plants you want protected, put chicken wire or other mesh around it. Please do not shoot the animals!

• annnorthtexas
    15 years ago

Kara, your 3"x2" holes sounds like squirrels. They've been digging up their buried nuts in my yard and that's about the size of the hole.

• happyday
    15 years ago

Fill in their burrows. Keep them filled in. Rabbit holes are big enough for a running child or even an adult to drop a foot or in the case of a child, a whole leg into and break an ankle or in the case of a child, possibly a leg, knee or hip so if you don't keep the holes filled in, better keep your insurance up.

• happyday
    15 years ago

Note: I read the OP as three foot deep by 2 foot wide, about the side of rabbit warrens I have seen. Are the holes three inches deep by two inches wide? Are the holes lined with fur? Mother rabbits sometimes make such small nests in even regularly mowed lawns, drop their babies inside, and cover with dry grass. At dusk they return and settle over the nest to let the babies suckle. The nests I've seen have been more like three inches deep by five inches wide, but YMMV.

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

i have to agree with the permanent method. I also purchased the Gamo with a nice scope 1200 fps. this piece of gardening equipment is up on the top of the list of must haves.

{{gwi:67679}}

Dale

• itsmekarak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for your diverse input. Although I complained about those pesky little creatures, I just don't have the heart to hurt them. I know, my husband laughs at me, but hey I just can't do it.

I went ahead with the rabbit caging fence material you can buy in bundles. So far that has worked well, however, they have now moved onto my peppers. So I think I will be fencing in the entire garden.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. You guys are great!

Happy Gardening-Kara

• bhhstudios
    15 years ago

I use the Motion activated sprinkler called the Scarecrow. It not only works on rabbits and deer, but I have seen it scare off robins and chipmunks too! So far i love this product. Its like an invisible fence of water.

• matersingarden
    15 years ago

My daughter just got pet rabbits in the spring and we have not had a rabbit since. Rabbits may be territorial. Does anyone know?
    Maybe try rabbit manure if you don't want to keep a cage of rabbits. It works great for me.

• fespo
    15 years ago

Ok I have read all the post. I kinda have problem with ONE LITTE RABBIT IN MY FENCED GARDEN. I have put 2 two rabbits to heaven, but there brother, the smart one keeps out foxing me. He eating EVERYTHING, he is having a feast. I see him once in a while but he's too fast for me and then hides somewhere in the garden. Now the garden is about 50x100 and everything is growing great. Mr. rabbit hides in the beans, beats and i dont know where else. Today with my kids on gaurd in conner i tried to flush him out! No can do. I have the BB gun hiding right in the garden so I can have a quick shot. I feel like Bill Murry in Caddy Shack. I going to get that rabbit if the last thing i do. Im going to try the blood meal thing tonight. If i don't put him to heaven he will never leave. Any other ideas on how to trap him or kill him. I was out there today from 7:00 am tp 2:00 I flushed him once when I was pulling weeds but that was it. He is even eating all my berrys. HELP

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Adjust your harvest pattern, no early girls, just furry ones.

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

fespo, put out something he likes in the open so you can get a clean shot and sit back with a cup of coffee in the morning and wait.

Dale

• fespo
    15 years ago

Well!!!! no more Mr. Rabbit & Mr chipmok, rat traps with fresh apple. I prebaited the area with little piece of apple right up to the trap and wham! Now maybe I can sleep tonight.

• humrbeach
    15 years ago

So my 2 boys 8 and 10, hear me complaining about the bunnies ruining my garden. I'm always chasing them out with a stick and they scurry under a different spot in the fence. Well tonight they're (my boys) outside on there nightly bunny hunt. Chasing rabbits all over the place. A neighbor a few houses over asks them what there doing. My youngest replies " We're Bunny Hunting, they keep eating my Dad's garden". She loses her mind, she takes his stick and he comes running home. Doesn't end here. About 10 minutes later she comes walking over, introduces herself. (We've lived here for 15 years) And proceeds to give me a lecture about my children being deliquents, because they're being brought up to abuse animals. I guess my 2 labs, that are my boys best friends don't count. I listen to her rant, don't say a word. Then my youngest pipes up, "Dad you've killed bunnies before". He's right I have. I've been hunting for over 25 years and hope to be able to take my boys along some day. Well now this neighbor totally loses her mind and starts screaming "What kind of man are you, you must me a wimp, how are you raising your kids, blah, blah". I keep my cool, both my kids are there. She keeps going. So I finally say "If I want to kill the rabbits in my garden so be it". Wrong thing to say. She responds with "I'm calling the police and charging you with cruelty to animals". Still keeping my cool I tell "I'm all done with this do whatever you want". Keep in mind there are no dead rabbits, kids playing games. Well you guessed it, a visit from the local PD. The officer tells me he recieved complaints that my family is killing rabbits. I assure him we're not and that my kids play the "Bunny Hunting Game". He also makes it clear to me that killing rabbits in your garden is illegal and considered cruelty to animals in The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I asked the officer "As there been any complaints of gunshots" Answer "No". So I ask "Well how are we killing all the bunnies in the neighborhood". He responds "It was reported that it was with a stick". Well I'll be damned, if my 8&10 year old are quick enough to kill a wild rabbit in the yard/garden with a stick, then they have a hell of future in some professional sports team. Anyway, I just threw out all of our mousetraps (another favorite pastime for my kids, mouse hunting)It appears all the rodents in my neck of the woods have more rights than the humans, you know the ones who pay property taxes. Okay I'm done. I feel much better.

• rootdoctor
    15 years ago

Heheheheh, this topic always gets folks going! Dried blood is ok unless you have possums and coons and other beasties around, then they will hang around also. I also use the pellet vegetable protection plan. Gamo, Daisy and 3x9 is quick, humane, and I don't waste the animal - what I don't eat goes into the compost pile. I do find that after you kill a few, the remaining rabbits either go nocturnal or move on. The cycle repeats itself though, every 4 months Ol Brer rabbit gives Mama another litter.

Seriously, we DO have eyes on tto the front of our face, we are predators, and we can make the choice ourselves whether we take their life, or live and let live. No right, no wrong unless you waste the meat. AND, rabbit cooked with collards is just plain delicious!! TiMo the wabbit killer

• smiles317
    15 years ago

I have been using this stuff liquid fence, and it works like a charm.

My small veggie garden in my backyard is fenced with chicken wire, and I have not had a bunny issue in there as of yet. Which is surprising considering I have a whole family of them living under my shed.

On the side of my house I have 2 squash plants and one cucumber.... which is not fenced in at all. Originally my problem stemmed from the bunnies eating my petunias and impatiens around my mailbox. Then I was scared they were going to take out my squash blossoms. A couple shots of this liquid fence and EVERYTHING stays away. Including those annoying neighbors!! It smells god awful...after I spray I run into my house and lock the doors :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid Fence

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

Humrbeach, "The shot heard round the world" that was fired in Massachusetts, right?

• aulani
    15 years ago

Humrbeach, I haven't laughed out loud this hard in a long time. Great post!!! Sorry you have such a crazy neighbor. My guess is they don't have a garden. In the meantime, I have no idea whether killing rabbits in your garden is illegal here in Kansas, but I've been doing it with a pellet rifle. Got two squirrels yesterday who have been helping themselves to apples from my tree -- takes nine pumps to get a squirrel. No rabbit or squirrel is gonna take my stuff that I work hard and spend hard to maintain. Thanks for the laughter. Good story!!!

• happyday
    15 years ago

Humrbeach, sounds like you need a crazy neighbor trap. Maybe you should charge her with stealing the stick from your son. Her yelling at your kids is child abuse, so get a restraining order to keep her off your property.

Is it against the law to butcher domestic rabbits for meat in your area? I guess if she saw you doing that, she would lose her dang mind. Again. Watch out for PETA vigilantes!

Meanwhile, I can't believe it's now gotten to the point where you can't even have mousetraps. Is she hassling you for cruelty to rodents?

• itsmekarak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Humrbeach, what a hillarious post!!! I had no idea killing bunnies would be considered cruelty to animals. I guess my Dad would have been fined for his famous rabbit stew back 30 years ago! What is this world coming to?

Well, everyone you have offered me some much deserved validation. I ended up not going with the fence after all and instead invested in a product called Liquid Fence (http://www.liquidfence.com/) and it has worked WONDERFULLY!!!! YEAH!!!! The directions indicate that you only have to use it once a week then onto once a month, then once a quarter, etc. as a way of "training" the animals to stay away. For me, once a week didn't work. I had to use it every 3 days for the first week and then after a big rain the other day. But so far it has been wonderful. No bunnies anymore! In comparrison to the $150 of fencing material and the day of installing it, the $30 for liquid fence was money and time well spent. Try it out...I have been sold!

Happy Gardening - Kara

• sandhill_farms
    15 years ago

Humrbeach,

I found your story sadly humorous. Funny in it's content and sad in the fact that we have become a nation of wimps, and it's hurting us domestically as well as internationally.

I own two acres and have (5) cats (as well as two Labs), and every spring when the baby bunnies arrive the cats thin the herd (as it were). Fortunately there's no such silly laws here that prevent that or they'd be facing charges.

Kudos to your ability to keep your cool, under the circumstances you faced I'm afraid I wouldn't have.

• humrbeach
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention one more detail. As I'm getting it both barrels from my tofu eating neighbor. My other neighbor (they just moved in 2 weeks ago, great folks) was listening to the whole ordeal. So after the "crazy bunny loving neighbor" storms off, I hear this faint voice say
    "Goodnight Mr. McGregor". I had to do everything I could to keep from bursting out in laughter. He will be getting his share of tomatoes and zucchini this summer.

I also heard a terrible rumor tonight,the " Crazy Bunny Lady" maybe suffering from Tuleremia. I may have trouble sleeping tonight, if only I was more diligent in the hunting of these rabbits. I could have saved her from this terrible disease.

• reba_nc
    15 years ago

Humrbeach, I love rabbits and I would love to live next to you. I'll take plain old common sense over cheap sentimentality anyday.I'll bet that crazy lady who's SO concerned about the poor bunnies thinks abortion is just fine. In fact, that's my response to any animal rights nut. After they've raved about the helpless animals and the cruel, selfish humans for a while I ask if its alright to kill them BEFORE they're born. Horrified gasp. So you're against abortion, right? Shuts 'em up.

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

I feel for you, humrbeach. There are a lot of "Crazy Bunny Ladies" in the world. As a former 4-Her who raised meat rabbits as a child, I love to stay warm during the winter by wearing rabbit fur ear muff, scarf and lined gloves (especially real black fur - not the dyed stuff). I refuse to wear faux fur because it's silly - hereÂs something that looks like fur, but isnÂt even half as warm. So I walk into a department store last January where two airheads are talking loudly to one another and looking around to see if people are noticing them. They spot the fur IÂm wearing and start following me until they have me cornered in the back where itÂs hard to maneuver around. All the while, theyÂre making comments to one another that are intended for me, like "You wonÂt find any fur here." For the love of Pete, IÂm not wearing an extinct leopard around my neck. I really wanted to ask them, "Do you know why rabbits multiply?" then answer, "Because theyÂre so low on the food chain." But I doubt they grasp what the food chain is and experience has taught me that you canÂt reason with these people. So I donÂt start a conversation because it will give them the satisfaction of knowing that theyÂre getting on my nerves. And I wonÂt be run off by them either. I just keep strolling around, never making eye contact, looking at every piece of merchandise and stepping around them like theyÂre mannequins. IÂm close enough to notice that one of them is wearing a nice pair of leather boots. The hypocrisy! Cute, fuzzy bunnies should be protected but ugly, slobbering cows are a different story. I guess the personification of the Easter bunny, Bugs Bunny and all the other bunny characters used to sell cereal and chocolate milk have greatly effected the way people think about rabbits. If our country ever faces a "Red Dawn" type of reality, "Crazy Bunny Ladies" are going to be the first ones to meet their maker.

• karen_pgh
    15 years ago

Humrbeach - very funny story. All the neighbors call my husband Mr McGregor also!

Actually we have found a very easy way to keep the bunnies out of our garden. Although we take very good care of our garden we are not so conscientious about our lawn and it is filled with clover. Well we have one little bunny who is hanging out in our yard and we have noticed that he vastly prefers the clover over any of the vegetables. He will wander into the garden and munch a little on the lettuce, spinach and the beets, but he always heads back to the clover. I have no problem with permanently eliminating bunnies, my husband is a hunter and I have eaten my share. However, we are both oddly attached to this little bunny and he is doing very little damage so we are sharing.

• james_in_lapine
    15 years ago

I had some good folks like the BUNNY woman buy the place down the road from me. About 1/2 a mile away. My little Basset hound Max (he was 3 months old then) and I would walk the gardens every morning. I carried a 9 mm with me for the rabbits as a .22 never seems to stop them. I am a retired Army sergeant with a nice collection of firearms that I shoot often. I built a small range for that purpose. Mr. & Mrs. bunny folks saw me walking with max one morning as I nailed a bunny. They then called the sheriff to complain about me shooting at wild game. That afternoon I made a few calls and had about a dozen folks on the firing line. For 3 hours the Sheriff told the Rabbit people that it was legal and he planed to stop by and shoot a few rounds himself.
    I still shoot the rabbits that max scares out of my garden with my 9 mm. My new neighbors don't complain when I take fresh rabbit to them. They like them BBQd.
    I love being rural from a small town.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Crazy neighbors, sheesh! Speaking of crazy neighbors, there's one here in my small town who likes to feed the squirrels and chipmunks. She buys them peanuts in the shells, corn, etc. and feeds them daily. In with all the holes that they make around the foundation of my house, we keep finding peanut shells. We know who's partially responsible for the chipmunk infestation around here.

This rodent lover also hates the hawks that hang around because they kill the squirrels and chipmunks. Why shouldn't they hang around? Her yard is like a snack tray for them. Personally, I'm rooting for the raptors. :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same lady who called the police on the neighbors who occupy the north side of the locale. The north-side neighbors are avid hunters, have at least 10 acres of mostly wooded land, with a good-sized field that has a stocked pond. There's no one else around in that direction for several miles.

In the field they have set up a sophisticated target shooting range, of the hunting variety, complete with fake animals as targets. They only practice a few times a year, never early in the morning and never at night. They are very considerate of other neighbors. These are good people, law-abiding, hard working, mostly in the trades (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, welders, etc.). They don't all live there, obviously, but they have gatherings of family and friends several times a year, and almost all of their family live within a few miles of the area.

One day they were target shooting, just before hunting season, and someone called the police. The cops drove in, checked everything out, told them that they really had a great set up, and asked if they could come over some time and do some shooting. Ah, poetic justice.

In my younger days I was more tolerant, but anal retentive people really get on my nerves now. We don't own guns ourselves (mostly because I'm a klutz), but why in the world would anyone care what people are doing on their own property? If you rely on the food you grow why should the lawn rats be allowed to go unchallenged?

Get a good hunting cat or a couple of terriers. Better yet, get live capture traps and let the rabbits loose in your neighbor's garage or basement.

• weedsmakemecrazy
    15 years ago

Okay....I love rabbits -I kept them as 4-H projects growing up (not for meat :) - and I'm an animal lover and all, but when it comes to them eating my garden (and this year its not just veggies but flowers too) they have to go!

I also can't kill them, butI use a product called "Shake Away" and it has really been working for me. Not sure if it is the same thing as liquid fence...? You have to use it every other day at first and then just now and then and after a rain. I think it is powdered fox pee or something so the bunnies think there is a predator in the area. Kind of pricey, but the bottle has lasted me awhile.
    As for dogs...my dogs try and get them, but it's pretty laughable...they'll never catch them and the rabbits don't seem too afraid. They leave, but they are back in a half hour or so...plus, i think they do most of the damage at night when the dogs are inside.

I don't put the Shake Away in the front yard and just let them hang out there with all the clover. Maybe they'll stay there for good.
    Humrbeach...FUNNY story! Makes me a little sad that I also live in MA. Can't believe the cop didn't think the story was a little funny...? or that your neighbor was a little crazy/irrational...?

good luck itsmekarak! The wild bunny population is ridiculous this year! At least here in MA...never seen anything like it...and they are brazen little creatures this year too!
    Kathy

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

I have used Liquid Fence for a few years now. We have had more rabbits than usual this year and they even have a nest about 20 feet or so from the garden. I see them next to the garden, but never touch a thing in it.

My neighbor has a cat and a dog that has taken care of a few of the rabbits and some baby birds and leaves them at our door for us and I didn't like it at first, but they also have killed a few snakes,chipmunks,etc.. Have to take the good with the bad.

Andrea

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

All I need to say is it is a shame that animals that are acting on intstinct are being targeted.

Put fencing around the garden before you kill rabbits!

I am glad to hear that the killing of rabbits is a crime in Massachusetts.

I wonder what would have happened when the human species was evolving, if there were another species that could have killed us for doing what was instinctual to us, how we would have reacted? It is the same concept!

• balsam_girl
    15 years ago

So yesterday I went outside in my fenced-in garden and there was bunny hopping thru my beans! He didn't much mind me because they are semi-tame around my buildings anyway (no dog). Knowing what I had to do, I eased back towards the house while watching where it hopped over by some cedar bushes. I got the 20 gauge and loaded it, came back outside, and the bunny was still sitting there. I did not hesitate but dispatched it at once from about 40 feet away.

Sort of a mystery how it got inside. The only thing I can think of is that earlier I had the gate open for about 20 minutes while hauling pails of water inside. It must have waiting and saw its chance to slip inside and then did. That was a fatal mistake. This time I felt little remorse, knowing it was the rabbit or my garden. I leave them alone and provide habitat for them outside my garden fence, but once inside out comes the 20 gauge, which is 100% effective.

• sfhc21
    15 years ago

We have a rancher out here in our parts that kills coyotes, then hangs them on his fence. Supposedly it helps keep the coyotes from coming back.

Could this concept work for rabbits?

I wonder if I kill a rabbit and hang it on a stake on the border of the garden, would the rabbits still enter once they see what happened to their cousin?

• vic01
    15 years ago

We live in a small rural town, shooting a firearm in town is not allowed, BB guns not allowed, no rules on rabbits at all and we have rabbit heaven. We have 3 small dogs that will chase rabbits. Used to tie them out but now we let them loose in the yard when we are out there. Last year we had less rabbit damage than ever. I guess the dinner is not worth facing the dogs. Whatever the reason it works and more vegetables to eat now.

• corapegia
    15 years ago

When I moved to my present home 35 yrs ago, I planted 20 blueberry bushes. I was young and foolish and the rabbits ate every single bush the first winter. We've had 10 different cats over the years since and they kept the population down with help from the neighbor's terrier type dog "Copper" The cats and the dog have all moved on to the the great hunting ground in the sky and we decided to get new couches instead of cats. The rodent populations have all expolded. We just moved 2 flying squirrels to the other side of town, trapped them begind the upstairs bathtub, they just can't resist peanut butter. But back to the topic. When the rabbits (and a couple of woodchucks) started getting at the garden, I fenced the garden. One day, a fairly small rabbit got in (they're much smaller than their fur makes you believe). I put on my "crazy old lady" disguise and went out with the broom and chased that bunny all over the garden trying to get it to leave. It got stuck between a couple of pieces of fence and by the time I got to it, it was dead. Apparently, rabbits are very high strung, it had a heart attack!!! At first I felt sad, and then I reallized it was not so terrible. I got some exercise, I got rid of that rabbit and I learned that if I act a little like a dog, they'll all drop dead from fright. It just doesn't work on the woodchucks, dozens of voles, many gray squirrels, chipmunks who love cherry tomatoes, red squirrels (and now three hybrid red/gray squirrels). I blame the Disney movies for turning many people into rabid rabbit protectionists.

• rootdoctor
    15 years ago

Alrighty then for you non hunting folks. I made this for a friend who owns a landscaping business and it has worked better than anything he has tried before.

1 quart habaneros - I used Bhut Jolokias - the hottest in the world
    1 gallon water
    2 cloves of garlic diced fine
    1 T cinnamon powder
    Bring this to a boil for 30 minutes, then use a mixer on it for 2 minutes.
    CAUTION THIS WILL IRRITATE EYES, LUNGS, AND IF YOU GET IT ON YOU, SKIN AS WELL !
    Put this through a paint strainer medium size.
    put on stove again and add 1/4 cup olive oil and cool..
    Strain again
    add 2 T of a generic dish detergent. NOTE do NOT use anything that has germ killing properties, odor enhancers etc. Use a generic cheap dish soap or ivory.
    Mix this in a hand held sprayer 2 OZ to 1 qt water.
    Property owners that had been watching deer and rabbits eat their tulip bulbs, pansies etc. kept watch at the windows and reported that the deer and rabbits would walk up and sniff, then walk or slink away.

This is like 20 times stronger than the crap you buy at the store for 10.00 a quart!! It is extremely potent, and needs to be respected.

Jalapenos or other non habanero chili's will not work.

The oil and the detergent bind the molecules together and coat the leaves. Even after two rains, the animals have not touched the plants.

The plants showed zero signs of burns or any harm what so ever.

Will also work for spider mites, aphids, or any chewing insects during warmer weather.

DO NOT spray on windy days as you WILL be sorry!

Good luck!! TiMO

Try it, you'll buy it!

The landscaper has ordered another gallon from me already!!

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

I've never used Liquid Fence, nor the really potent habanero pepper/cinnamon/garlic concoction that rootdoctor makes. Both sound like workable options. We don't fence because our garden is so large that fencing would cost more than buying veggies!
    However, we have had luck repelling rodents (rabbits, armadillos and even coyotes) by using balls of dog fur. I get dog fur (not the hair that poodles have, but fur) from a dog groomer, put a wad in the toe of an old panty hose foot, and tie it either to a plant, or to the plant's support, or to a stick that is put into the ground near the plant we need to protect. This needs to be refreshed/replaced about every month, oftener if it rains frequently (that isn't a problem here in Texas!).
    Rabbits and other pests get a sniff of a predator's scent from the fur and go elsewhere. We still have bunnies romping on the front lawn, but they stay away from our flower beds and vegetable gardens.
    We like bunnies, but LOVE our vegetables and flowers!

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I've never tried repelling rabbits with dog fur, and maybe it really works, but I have my doubts. I have 2 large dogs and a fenced backyard. The rabbits run like heck when the dogs chase them, making a beeline for the bunny holes under the fence (unlike when I try to shoo them out, they run 10 feet and lay down...). The main bunny-hole is in the back corner of my yard, otherwise known as the "poop zone". We had 3 rabbits chasing each other around in that part of the yard a couple days ago. When I pooper-scooped today, I saw little bunny poops all over the place out there, in the dogs' poop-zone.

Again, maybe the fur has a different effect, but poop sure doesn't scare them off.

• ten_yr_plan
    15 years ago

live, love, laugh and garden. truely enjoyed reading it all. gardening does take a bit of humor don't you think? i too have bunny issues and many separate gardens in a very large yard. fence or topical tx not realistic. what to do? fight the ongoinhg battle, plant a little extra and carry on. thanks all who gave input, this was a good read.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH