SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katzgirl

Barn Building Advice Needed

katzgirl
16 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking an interest in my topic. I'm new here so I thought I'd share a little about myself before jumping in and pleading for help.

I'm basically a farmer at heart and not a computer technologist. If I screw up, please be patient. Laugh with me...not at me.

My name is Kat. For years, I ran a little farm with goats, sheep and chickens. However, we did have the odd pig and calf come visit for a while before they took up permanent residence in the "refrigerated barn".

I was well known for providing farm goods in my community. My customers often referred to as the egg or goat lady; depending on which product they bought or bartered for from me.

As a single mother of 3, I ran my farm as a way to put food on the table and subsidize my tiny monthly income. We enjoyed the benefits but nothing compared to our lifestyle on a farm.

A little over two years ago, a disastrous, brief relationship ended and I was left nearly penniless. I bartered/negotiated to hang on and nearly lost the farm a couple of times. While I managed to keep our home, the same could not be said for our lifestyle.

In the aftermath, I had only enough money for family groceries or livestock feed. I had to make the most difficult decision of my life and it meant giving up the essence of our lifestyle.

I arranged to ship our beloved dairy goat herd, sheep and flock of chickens to an animal rescue league. I will never forget those first few hours after they were all gone. The deafening silence on our farm made the atmosphere "heavy" with grief.

That evening, I instinctively went to the barn. As I stood inside the empty, "lifeless" structure, reality sunk in and hit me hard. At that precise moment, I realised for the first time in over 16 years there were no farm chores for me to do. The "IT" that had defined me and given me purpose, was gone. I sat down on a bale of hay and cried until I thought my heart would break.

Two weeks later, I returned to college and obtained my certification as a community mental health worker. Shortly after graduation, I began working in healthcare and life went on.

I believed that as time went by I would get over the loss of my lifestyle. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

I took up puttering in my flower beds as a way to distract myself but I wanted more. Then I got a dozen chickens in an attempt to breathe life back into the farm but that only intensified my desire to farm again.

With each turn of the seasons, I became more restless to return to my roots. After several fruitless attempts to rebuild my farm, I felt frustrated and began taking a good hard look at the place. Overgrown grass, broom bushes becoming trees, huge patches of blackberries, rundown outbuildings, etc. After staring at these obvious signs of neglect, I felt very discouraged.

I began to consider giving up the farm and relocating to the city. Then I envisioned myself living in a concrete jungle inside one of those human rabbit hutches called a condo.

Well, that really went against my nature. I am not the type who easily cuts my losses and runs so I decided to take a different approach to the matter of bringing my farm back to life.

I began by shifting my focus to the positive factors and scaled down my dream to a more realistic size. I also accepted the fact that this was not a "one man" chore so I swallowed my pride and started looking around for help where it could be found.

Which brings me to this forum. Where else could I find so many barn "experts" in the same place! So here goes...

I want the barn to be 14' x 20' with earth floors and a simple slant or sloped roof. The lowest inside height will be 10'. It's going to have a single 6' x 6' door with 4 windows.

Now I know I can swing the hammer to build this barn. And some friends are going to help with the "grunt" work.

However, I'm terrible at figuring out the kind of materials I need to build it and even worse at the kind of math needed to estimate quantities. And just plain out forget about asking me to draw a layout unless it involves stickmen...lol

Does anyone have building plans for a barn similar to the one I want to build or know of an internet site that might show simple layouts with material lists? Any help would be appreciated and I open to all advice.

Thanks

Kat

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH