SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_walker65

Building my own house! Will need advice as I go!

DFW Rusty
4 years ago

After meeting with many contractors and not really having a super warm and fuzzy feeling about the cost and what we were getting I decided to build the house myself. I started this project back in October and have gotten a decent amount done for having minimal help and only being able to work on it during the weekends and some evenings through the week. I am not a contractor, I am a metal fabricator. I have minimal experience in any of this, but with the help of google I am figuring it out as I go. My house is not conventional in any way, it's kind of a barndominium/ slash hybrid home I guess. The house I am building is an open concept home, 2091 square feet, 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath. My wife found the floor plan and I drew up my construction plans in AutoCAD mechanical.

Specs of my house so far:

2' dia. piers that are 6' deep in very rocky soil. These are the main piers for the structural beams, that hold the house up.

1' dia. piers for the flooring.

The structural side of the house is 14x22 beams

floor beam/supports are 6" square tubes,

floor joists are 6" purlins on 16" centers,

Windows are roughed in with purlins then framed with 2x6 wood,

(10) reliabilt vynil, dual pain, single hung, hinged windows 3'x6'. bedrooms, living room.

(3) reliabilt, bynil, dual pain, single hung, hinged windows. 3'x4'. kitchen window. I mulled together.

Front door is kind of a standard insert, metal, 36"x80" w/ 16" side lights,

side door is just a normal metal 36x80, with a window.

roof and exterior walls are metal. Roof is installed, with R10 blanket insulation.

My wall metal and subfloor both were dropped off Monday (2 different suppliers).

Porch is 4x4x3/16" on the deck framing, awning is 4x4x1/8". The wood decking will be supported by 2x4x14ga rectangle tubing on 24" centers. the decking itself will be normal treated 2x6 lumber. I hate deck boards (5/4 boards) they don't seem to hold up real great.

My subfloor (just delivered Monday) not yet installed, is Advantech 3/4" tongue and grooved.

This is the latest and greatest pic of my progress so far. Each time I add more than one pic, it deletes my thread, so I will post one pic with the thread starter and reply with more pics.

Comments (92)