SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hengal_gw

I REALLY need help with a goose please.

hengal
17 years ago

In early May I adopted from some friends of mine an orphaned canadian goose. (they were thinking all along it was a duck) She found this baby on their farm south of here, said it was screaming up a storm for three days under her deck and she didn't go near it for fear the mother wouldn't come to her. Well three days passed and she never saw any "parent", siblings or anything. She was about to leave and go back home but didn't want to leave this baby alone for fear of all the wild animals on their property that might have killed it. So...she took it home and needless to say this little baby was imprinted on humans. It followed her around like she was its mother, and screamed when she left the room. To make a long story short, these folks were leaving for out of the country for several months and did not know what to do with this baby that totally depended on humans, so I said I'd take her. She was too small to go in with the chickens so we built her a special pen, and I got her two ducklings to keep her company, although she still follows me whenever I'm out in the yard - but she is getting better as she forages in the grass.

Well, things have been going fine for the last month and a half. On the weekends they are out most of the day foraging, and go into their pen at night. They have been getting a diet of lettuce, tomatoes, and chicken feed along with their foraging in the grass.

Here is the problem and I just don't know what to do. This past weekend it rained and rained and rained. The goose and the ducks spent the majority of time in thier pen, as I feel safer being out there when they are roaming - we've had to retrieve them from the neighbors a couple of times. They were out for a bit on Sunday evening when the weather finally calmed down.

Lastnight I came home and let them out and the goose's wings are sagging and the tips can almost touch the ground when she leaned over to eat. She still ate fine - still reacted to me, foraged a bit but then laid down a few different times almost like she was tired. Otherwise she was acting no different than usual.

This morning when I went out to feed them they were all laying down, got up to eat. Her wing tips were still saggy but did not look quite as bad as lastnight from what I could tell.

I'm very worried about her. Is she not getting enough food even with what I feed her because she is not out foraging all day like they normally would be? Is it due to laying down so much during the day because she is in a pen?

Their pen is a 6' x 8' that we move each night so there is fresh grass underneath.

She is in a very awkward stage right now devlopmentally. Kind of like the awkward teenager, but she has grown so much and so fast. I'm guessing by the size she was when we got her that she was only a week or so old. There is pond behind our property about a mile and we have a lot of these geese fly over in the spring and fall. I'd like to see her be able to take off with the flock one day. (and hope my little comical ducks don't go with her). My husband suggested I put her in the chicken's yard during the day, but there is absolutely NO grass in there at all for them to forage through.

Anyone know what the wing droop could be? What should I do?

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments (7)