SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaineycabaney2

Do I really need a new HVAC system? Please help.

elaineycabaney
11 years ago

I posted an earlier thread, but no response. In the meantime I have had an American Standard dealer out and he is questioning if I truly need a new system based on the fact that my air conditioning has been working fine during cooler temps (High 80's) but didn't get cooler than 85-88 degrees during the hotter/more humid period of 95-105 degrees.

Here is what the original tech from Company #1 said today:

The return and supply did not have a good split. The pressures were good, however he could not add refrigerant due to the head pressure rising too much. The compressor was not pumping to capacity and he believes that there could be a blockage in the indoor coil. Due to the age of the unit (10-12 years) that it is not worth repairing ($1200 compressor, $600 coil) as the inducing motor and heat exchanger could fail soon. I plan on selling the house within 3-5 years.

If you all feel replacement is indeed called for, I can provide estimates from Companies #1, #2, and almost from #3 (the questioning tech/estimator) as well as load calculations and specs of my home.

Thanks so much for your help and all that I have learned thus far from reading the threads :-)

Comments (5)