SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wellspring_gw

Funny Colors (Mostly OT)

wellspring
12 years ago

I have this cool new toy. I�ll try to work in something landscape designy, but I just really want to talk about my new color identifier ap. Not an ad. It�s intended for the visually impaired and I�d read on the internet how one blind person used it right away to "view" his garden, pointing the camera at every leaf and blossom and stone. He also used it to "watch" a sunset, listening to all the color changes in real time.

The ap is downloaded to a cell phone and the cell phone�s camera reads the color; a voice program "speaks" the colors, verbalizing continuous shifts in the spectrum by using different names for each change in the camera�s digital reception of light (or shadow). It�s good and it�s bad. It�s good because it can verbalize up to a billion different color names. It�s bad for the same reason.

So here�s a quiz. In each case below, I carefully pointed the camera at something. I moved the camera around so that it might catch different aspects of the colors in view. Each example was done with the camera about 6 to 8 inches from the mystery item and in about 30 seconds, so not shade over time. Only one example in the list refers to something outside in my Illinois landscape � told you I�d throw something in �

What 3 mystery items are these colors describing? (First hint: One is animal, one is vegetable, and one is mineral.)

1. Brandy punch

Casablanca

Zest

Carrot orange

Mandolay

Firebush

Desert

Reno sand

Fuel yellow

Ochre

Texas rose

Goldenrod

2. English walnut

Spice

Nutmeg

Desirea

Indian Khaki

Crater brown

Tobacco brown

Ochico (sp?)

rock

cedar

toast

Kabul

Rodeo dust

Spicy mix

Saddle

Sandal

Quincy

Bizarre (or did it say bazaar?

Beaver

3. Rose Sienna

Mule fawn

Burnt sienna

Sandy brown

Tan hide

Macaroni & cheese

Tuscany

Santa Fe

Desirea

Copper

Welcome any and all comments, hijacks, crazy guesses, or color wonderings. It�s been commented on this forum before how Ops often want to start with plants and the colors of their blossoms. Our culture seems to teach children to name their favorite colors at an early age. There are deep emotional and cultural currents associated with colors. Note that in the list above someone thought place names sufficient to hold their place in the color range. I know this ap has the following colors: Chicago, Dallas, Moonlight in Paris, as well as Casablanca, Santa Fe, etc.

And this doesn�t even begin to touch on color trends orchestrated by fashion.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting