SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carebear3117

Suggestions please for my ugly ranch house

carebear3117
16 years ago

We moved into our house four years ago and have been working steady on our backyard. We would like to improve the curb appeal of our front yard but we are starting with a blank slate. The railway ties in the picture below happened to be there the day I took the picture. They were awaiting the Got-Junk people that day.

The things I would like to do to the front yard are either add a low fence or hedge at the front property line (about 8 feet in from the front of the driveway because my mailman crosses across the front yard, our side yard to the right of the picture borders the alleyway and people drive their vehicles and walk diagonally across our lawn, and finally my kids are young so I thought it would be nice if they were playing in the front yard their toys wouldn't go onto our busy street.

Things I dislike about our house: I think the front bay window in white is an eyesore but it matches the siding that is around the other three sides of the house. The only brick is on the front and the chimney at the back. The garage door (brand new) also sticks out but it is vinyl so I am not sure painting it is a good idea. The white fence is being replaced this spring and I want to stain it a more subtle color to blend into the brick more. The large spruce is being removed so it doesn't engulf the house in another 10 years. I would also like privacy from the neighbour to the left of the picture because she is nosey. The downspout in the front has since moved to the side of the house and the front entrance has a black iron gate that we keeped locked because the front door unfortunetly is 6 feet inside the alcove and it is a security risk to leave it open.

The front yard faces south and it is very hot and dry in the summer with clay soil. I am planing to make large sweeping borders to frame the house but I don't even know where to start as far as where to plant a tree or trees, shrubs etc.

Can you please give me some suggestions to improve the look of my house? I really like the cottage style of garden design but I am not sure if it really fits with my house.

Thank you,

Carrie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13438094@N00/1961971496/

Comments (10)