SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soil_man

Protecting your containers from freezing weather.

soil_man
14 years ago

We experienced our first first real freeze of the winter last night (mid 20's). I try to keep my container plants outside as much as possible, but just couldn't last night. When we only have a frost forecast, I cover my larger plants, tropical hibiscus, elephant ear, palms, with 45 gallon plastic trash cans turned upside down over them. For the smaller containers, I turn five gallon buckets upside down over them.

A few plants, like Gerber Daisies; I remove from their containers; replant in a raised bed, and cover with those clear plastic storage containers. They really seem to like being under the clear plastic containers. I guess they are like miniature green houses. If the weather drops below freezing for an extended period, I first cover them with oak leaves and then place the clear containers over them.

The really large plants must eventually be moved inside. I use a two wheel furniture dolly and move them to the barn for the duration of the freeze. I then move them back outside for warm sunny weather.

What do you do?

soil

Comments (3)