SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Ways to protect tender vegetables from frost/freezing?

anney
16 years ago

Well, Monday night here is predicted to have a temp of 32 degrees, and Tuesday night 33 degrees after weeks and weeks of balmy temperatures. Yesterday it was 82 degrees.

I'm not so worried about my peas, carrots, strawberries, broccoli, onions, & lettuce, but I have some herbs (basil & dill) out in the garden, some gazanias and marigold seedlings growing out front, and 3 tomatoes & 3 peppers in containers on the back deck.

There is much internet advice about how to protect seedlings in the event of unexpected frost or freezing, so of course I'll do everything I can. So far I plan to water the soil around the plants well and cover them with capped 2-liter bottles with the bottoms cut out, plus sheets or towels on top of the bottles when the sun goes down.

What's worked for you that I might consider? Would black plastic garbage bags protect my seedlings in the front? They're too numerous to cover singly but perhaps most in need of protection because of their small size. They're in an area about 2' x 16'.

Comments (12)