SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

help me brainstorm here - rainwater directing

joeschmoe80
10 years ago

Trying to design a system to route our downspout water (& the drain from our back porch area) to the low point of our property, which is a seasonally flooded depression in the yard...sometimes it looks like a creek, but can often be dry. It drains into a legitimate creek nearby when it does flood. The area will be almost like a rain garden, albeit not a "traditional" one. I'll probably plant the low, seasonally wet area with suitable plants, but I'm not worried about plant selection, but design.

There are four downspouts, and I'll use buried pvc to route it all to the backyard.

However, what I'm trying to do is design the asthetics - the slope isn't particularly steep, maybe 20% max. The "exit point" for the PVC will be just past the back porch, which is off the walkout basement. From there it will flow downhill. I'm trying to figure out something I can use to route the water down to the bottom of the hill, that almost looks "natural" but also looks good when its dry, which will be most of the time. Probably something involving rocks, or rock-like concrete, etc.

I guess even certain vegetation would work, but I'm thinking rock to avoid erosion.

Question 1:

If there are four downspouts, should I create four widely spaced 'exit points' or run them all into one large pipe?

What are some ways I can route the water down the best, in an attractive way that minimizes erosion?

Comments (4)