SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iechris

neighbor's foundation planting- need advice

iechris
16 years ago

My neighbor, who knows nothing about gardening and has an interesting way of going about things, bought a new house he is working on. At some point, he had pretty much all the exisiting foundation plantings ripped out (some time in the past few weeks- in the heat of summer with rain finally on the way). He also brought in a bulldozer and had I guess maybe a line of shrubs along a concrete retaining wall bulldozed. We have now gotten 2 1/2 inches of rain in the last few days...

His back yard is I believe totally beyond hope without having a professional come in and regrade it (it all slopes down to a big puddle in the middle, basically it is a sea of red mud). He wants me to help tell him what to plant in the front and side yard. He is also BEYOND frugal...

So, I have a two part question:

1) He has a SEA of red mud along the foundation on the side of his house. The house is red brick with a red brick path leading through the grass to the door. I doubt there is a budget to plant there right now and the soil will need to be ammended. Unfortunately, I think this area may be running off into his driveway. Would dumping a bunch of mulch on the all the red mud help??

2) What are some suggestions for the actual planting in front of his house. He says it is full sun (I'm driving by a few times this weekend to check out for myself). I think it will need to be relatively inexpensive and easy care. We are in zone 7b; hot and humid Upstate South Carolina. I have already thought of hollies, which is what I have in front of my house (got them free from a friend!). Right now we are thinking he will plant an arborvitae on the corner of his house.

Thanks!

Comments (6)