SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kadasuki

Newbie gardener needs foundation tree advice

kadasuki
16 years ago

Hello forum,

I'm an inexperienced gardener, living in NW AR Ozarks. Climate is 6A, hot as heck with drought in summer-usually;or wet and cooler; then from warm to frigidly icy in winter. The variable weather is what kills plants here. They can't take the extreme changes.

My question is this: I have a newer home on a steep, rocky slope in a town neighborhood that has no landscaping, nor lawn-just crab grass, burmuda, and varieties of weeds. I'd like some kind of evergreen on the front corners to anchor the future foundation plants. One faces west, the other faces south.

My problem is with a steep slope, 2 story house, close neighbors homes-about 15 feet on west side and 20 on the other, I need relatively tall narrow trees.

I'd love something spectacular such as variagate holly. I did see a tree in Minneapolis this summer but have no idea what it was, with ferny soft growth kinda like cypress. The growth was purple on ends and from a distance looks like flowers.

So something showy, narrow, that will do well on a town lot and survive our very variable extreme climactic conditions is what I want.

Please if you are an exerienced gardener/landscaper or have similar conditions -advise me.

Comments (15)