SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisonmd_gw

Multiple fence puzzle

alisonmd
15 years ago

I would really appreciate advice on a fence around our pool. We recently added an addition (the garage and screened porch in the photo) and had to remove part of the fence. We now need to replace a section, but since we have a mix of mismatched fences it is a good time to redo everything.

{{gwi:46777}}

Here is one photo of the area with the missing fence. If you click any of the photos and you will find many more (too many to post) in my Flikr photostream. I can post more if that is easier.

{{gwi:46778}}

Some facts:

Our house is a tudor/cottage style from the 30s and weÂd like to find something to complement this.

We have an old pool which is about 35 years old. There was an existing chain link fence along one part which is really ugly. It no longer meets the pool code of 5 feet tall, but it is grandfathered so it can remain. But if we replace it must be 5ft high. I have been trying to grow a privet hedge around it to hide it but so far have not been very successful. We would like to put a gate in the fence with steps up to the pool area. I bought the gate lying against the fence from e-bay but we never had a chance to do anything with it and it may not be the right style anyway. We do not need a privacy fence as we are far above the street.

{{gwi:46779}}

The rest of the pool was surrounded by an old dark wood fence with lattice on the top. I actually quite liked it, but then our neighbors built a new fence behind it which partially masked the lattice and made it look much worse. There is actually a third chain link fence between the two wooden fences.

{{gwi:46780}}

We would like to put an additional gate in the part of the fence that needs to be replaced beside the screened porch. But we would also like this fence to be as open as possible so that we can see the full length of our garden when we look from the house, so the 6ft dark partial existing fence is not good for that.

We also need to screen the collapsing fence around our pool pump.

I like an "old" look and am prepared to look for salvaged wrought iron type fence, if appropriate. I like the lightness of the fences shown here

http://www.arusticgarden.com/fenforallsce.html

but worry that the 5Â one doesnÂt look good and that it appears too flimsy for a pool fence.

I also like these fences from the Smith and Hawken book "Garden Structures, but have no idea where to find the wire fence or if it would work as a pool fence.

{{gwi:46781}}

{{gwi:46782}}

Please excuse the wild and messy yard. We have been trying to tame and reclaim it this season following our construction but still have a ways to go. But we do tend to lean towards the wild look.

Thanks,

Alison

Comments (3)