SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kw12032

Backyard surface recommendations please (multiple challenges, pics)!

kara werth
2 years ago

Hi, We are located in Seattle and are semi-capable DIYers. I enjoy gardening and plant selection, but we are at a loss for what to do for our backyard surface. I will detail the hurdles we are facing and would appreciate any recommendations.

• Mid-Century Modern Home
  • Back cement patio/walk-way is 6' wide
  • Patio edge to maple tree line is 13'
  • Area for surface is 65' long
  • Plans for a raised bed at maple tree base will take 2' - total 11' wide x 65' long for surface
  • Fence is 6' tall
  • Trampoline will likely depart within the year
  • Back yard has 6 maples along the fence line and evergreens at each end - year round debris
  • Yard has inground sprinkler system
  • Pictures are taken at mid-day - we could limb up maples a bit more, but yard is shady
  • Yard used to be grass (moss), gravel (filled w/tree debris) and a maple we removed (near hot tub)
  • We have a springer spaniel who loves to play in the yard - dust bowl in summer, mud pit in winter
  • We did install a paver/gravel path along fence line to mediate mud from dog's perimeter running

We were thinking of adding flagstone patio zones, but my understanding is that maples have their roots in the top 12" of soil, so the necessary 6" excavation for the patio would likely kill the maples. Hard to see in photos, but surface roots of maples are plentiful in the dirt. We have also pondered adding a platform deck (16'x8-10') against the house to take up some of the space and provide another zone, but we would still need to determine what to do with the rest of the surface.

We are happy that our dog enjoys the yard, but finding a surface that will withstand a dog, shade, year-round tree debris (leaves, needles) and installation will not kill the maples has been daunting. Any ideas would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (6)