SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazraf80

First Post! Re-Grading backyard and would appreciate some commen

dazraf80
12 years ago

Hello all,

Long time reader of this site and finally have my own home to start working on!

I plan on regrading my backyard. I have a significant drop in the back left where a lot of water and an old shed caused sinking and irrigation ( that's my assumption).

My Steps:

-laying out stakes to achieve a proper level (1 foot for every 50 foot going back and tapering off to the sides for drainage)

-cut grass as low as possible and rake up all debris (not sure if its necessary to remove lawn since i am going over it with topsoil?), there are no areas that need to be lowered

-use a vertical mower to soften and loosen surface, there are many bumps that i want to level off with top dressing and the vertical mower should help break up clumps

-I plan on bringing in 20 yards of dirt (hopefully that's enough!), hiring a few guys to distribute it throughout the back

-using a leveling rake to spread the dirt to the marks indicated by the stakes i previously laid out

-use a half filled roller to begin to compact the soil, and leveling as needed. I will eventually fill the roller to full (400 pounds) and create a suitable grade. Might need a tractor to move the roller.

-once the land is properly graded, i will rake in seed for grass and top with straw

-water, water, water

Please critique the above steps and let me know if I am missing something. Thank you! Here is a pic!

Here is a link that might be useful: yard

Comments (45)