SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trstevenson

Can a fence contractor charge more if we're asking for less fencing??

Teresa Stevenson
4 years ago

We're replacing the wood fencing around our entire property (approx 240 ft), and the work has been 2/3 completed (the back fence faces the street, and on one side our neighbor is agreeing to pay half).
Unfortunately, the neighbors on our other side are reluctant to pay their share, even though the fence is so bad that it's fallen multiple times. We've had a reasonable discussion about it, and part of the reason is they are tight on funds because of how much money they've put into the house over the past two years (last owners left entire house in need of major work). After some discussion, we're agreed that they will build new fencing themselves in the same style we're using (the husband does construction), and we're only going to pay for a small portion that we're extending farther than the original fence line, and of course the gate on our side. We will also chip in for materials.
I informed my fence guy, and I know he was less than pleased to hear they would be putting up less fencing than originally agreed. He took measurements for the new scope of work and said he would send me a new quote for the remainder of the job. The length of fencing on that side is 84ft. The neighbors are replacing all but 13ft of the fence.
He emailed me a few days later and said that his original quote was for the entire job, and that now he could not honor that price point because of the change in plans. That side was to originally cost $3200 (1600 if shared w/neighbor), plus $750 for the gate.
Now we are being charged $1750, which includes the gate and 13ft of fencing. Basically, we're looking at paying $1000 for 13ft. Is this normal?
I hate to be upset about this, because it's a small local company, and so far everything has been great. The work is high quality and beautiful, the owner has been a great guy and very professional. My husband was willing to pay a little over, but this seems way too much of a markup.
Anyway I could solve this? In the meantime, the fence blew down again yesterday, and I'm not sure when the neighbors plan to replace it. My apologies for the long post. Suggestions are highly appreciated, thank you!

Comments (13)